* Follow-up to my parents sets up to send to me instead.
@ 2001-02-18 16:46 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-02-18 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

When reading mail and I hit 'F' to reply to my parents (which is my
standard reply key, since I never switch properly between F and R, so
I just use F 99% of the time), it instead sets up the new mail message
with a To: line pointing to my own address.

My parents address looks like 'M or L Hardaker <hardaker@pacbell.net>'
and mine is 'Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net>', so the similarities in
the name space is all over, of course.

This is with last few weeks of CVS checkouts (verified with one from a
few seconds ago)

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Follow-up to my parents sets up to send to me instead.
@ 2001-02-18 16:53 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-02-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Wes> When reading mail and I hit 'F' to reply to my parents (which is
Wes> my standard reply key, since I never switch properly between F
Wes> and R, so I just use F 99% of the time), it instead sets up the
Wes> new mail message with a To: line pointing to my own address.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:  normal replies 'r/R' work fine.

--

@ 2001-02-18 17:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-18 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 18 Feb 2001, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> When reading mail and I hit 'F' to reply to my parents (which is my
> standard reply key, since I never switch properly between F and R,
> so I just use F 99% of the time), it instead sets up the new mail
> message with a To: line pointing to my own address.

Your login name is hardaker, and because message-dont-reply-to-names
is nil (use login name), it removes all hardaker addresses from the
to-list.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Follow-up to my parents sets up to send to me instead.
@ 2001-02-20 14:37   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-02-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wes Hardaker, ding

Kai> Your login name is hardaker, and because
Kai> message-dont-reply-to-names is nil (use login name), it removes
Kai> all hardaker addresses from the to-list.

Hmm.  That seems like an insanely dangerous thing to do by default!
My name happens to be fairly rare, but I can imagine "smith", "chang",
etc running into this accidentally much more frequently.

It seems to me that the proper thing to do would be to only remove it
if it was USER@DOMAIN, or USER@HOST instead.

--

@ 2001-02-20 15:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-20 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 20 Feb 2001, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> Hmm.  That seems like an insanely dangerous thing to do by default!

Was this the problem?  If yes, then maybe message-dont-reply-to-names
being nil should be the same as setting it to user-mail-address?

kai
--

@ 2001-02-21 18:49       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-02-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Hmm.  That seems like an insanely dangerous thing to do by default!

Kai> Was this the problem?  If yes, then maybe
Kai> message-dont-reply-to-names being nil should be the same as
Kai> setting it to user-mail-address?

Yes it was the problem, and that sounds like a wise choice as the
default (though extracting the right from address from the group
parameters, posting-styles, etc would be the "true" right choice).

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."