* Virtual server/major confusion
@ 1999-10-31 18:03 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-10-31 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attempting to create a second nnml server.  A place to store old messages
from Newsgroups now stored under ~/News/agent.

I want to go thru those agentized groups and split out the messages by
mnth to nnml groups of similar names.  That part is not a problem.  I
know how to do that.

However, I want to store these nnml groups in a directory on a separate
partition, in this case /mnt/bak/news2nnml

Following along in the info pages (Creating A Virtual Server) which
say the "nnspool" example could just as well be an "nnml" example.

I've created an nnml server named "news2nnml" that looks like so:

(nnml "news2nnml"
      (nnml-directory "/mnt/bak/news2nnml")
      (nnml-nov-directory "/mnt/bak/news2nnml")
      (nnml-active-file "/mnt/bak/news2nnml"))

Leaving the select method in ".gnus" like so:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

Also tried it like so:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
  '((nnml "")
     (nnml "/mnt/bak/news2nnml")))

The first setting gives errors that say either IO error
Or
/mnt/bak/news2nnml is a directory

The second shows all my nnml groups as before but duplicates with the
name nnml+news2nnml:GROUP  and nothing from /mnt/bak/news2nnml

I moved 4 small nnml groups to /mnt/bak/news2nnml for this
experiment. During my experimenting, gnus did see these groups at one
point when pressing <RET> on the server but would not let me in them
even after pressing "g" on the server to regenerate, and g in group
buffer to get new stuff.  Not sure what I did to cause this much to
happen ... but cannot get the groups to show up again.

This seems to  be hopelessly confusing and might need to be explained
in a simplified manner in info.