From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Questions about gnus
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:38:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Xiaowei Yang <yxw@mit.edu> writes:

> I am looking for a thread-based mailer read and want to know whether
> GNUS is the right choice for me. I am an mh-e user. Thus, I would like
> to run the mailer in emacs, as well as using mh-e's command line
> interfaces such as "pick", "scan". I also want to use BBDB. Can
> someone on this list give me a clue whether GNUS is the right one?

Gnus normally doesn't like it if you use other tools behind its
back.  If you use the nnmh backend (slow!), you have the highest
chance of it working.  I think in that case, you only need to be
aware of the following:

* If you manipulate messages behind Gnus' back, the Gnus-internal
  marks will not travel with the messages.

* If you EVER reuse message numbers (eg, by deleting the last msg in
  a folder and then putting a new message into the folder which then
  gets the same number as the previously-deleted message), then Gnus
  will get REALLY REALLY confused.  If the previous message was read,
  then Gnus will think the new message is read, and so on.

  DON'T DO THAT.

With these caveats, it might work.

kai