From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>, <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: imap folder for outgoing messages
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:27:02 +0100	[thread overview]

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> When starting gnus the first time, only one nnimap server
> was present in the server buffer (the proper one). I then
> typed C-x m and composed an email. The value of the Gcc
> field when composing the message was
>
> Gcc: nnimap:"Sent Items"

Well, this seems to say that gnus-message-archive-method wasn't
right.  You can notice because the server name is wrong.

Also, the quotes might be in the wrong position.  Hm.  What to do
about that?  Not so sure.  Maybe the Gnus proper should add the
quotes as necessary.

> The other two nnimap servers are still there. Sending works,
> but copies are not stored.
>
> Kai's solution now makes the Gcc field to be:
>
> Gcc: "nnimap+MY.IMAP.SERVER:Sent Items"
>
> and everything works as expected. I would still say there
> is a bug somewhere that causes the creation of these void
> nnimap servers, but I don't get bitten by it anymore.

Well, if gnus-message-archive-method is (nnfolder "foo"
(nnfolder-directory "/tmp/foo")), then Gnus will create the /tmp/foo
directory and put the server there.  If you just say (nnfolder
"foo"), then the directory will be ~/Mail, the default place.  So if
you say (nnimap "foo"), then Gnus will try to open an IMAP server on
the foo host.

Garbage in, garbage out...

But Gnus could protect you better.  For example, it could require
gnus-message-archive-method to be a server _name_ which is verified
to exist, rather than auto-created.  For my taste, Gnus auto-creates
new servers far too often, thus masking problems elsewhere.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)