* Adaptive scoring and autoexpire
@ 2001-08-09 12:58 Andrew Koenig
From: Andrew Koenig @ 2001-08-09 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gnus 5.8.8, and the documentation claims that adaptive
scoring doesn't work well with auto-expire.

I have what might be a foolish question: Why not just arrange that
when you're reading a mail group, commands such as d, k, and K mark
the message(s) in question as expired instead of marking them as read?
Usually, when I'm reading mail, I think of "d" as meaning "I don't
want to see this message any more, ever again."

				   Regards,

				   Andrew Koenig

* Re: Adaptive scoring and autoexpire
@ 2001-08-09 14:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-09 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andrew Koenig <ark-mlist@research.att.com> writes:

> I'm using gnus 5.8.8, and the documentation claims that adaptive
> scoring doesn't work well with auto-expire.
>
> I have what might be a foolish question: Why not just arrange that
> when you're reading a mail group, commands such as d, k, and K mark
> the message(s) in question as expired instead of marking them as read?
> Usually, when I'm reading mail, I think of "d" as meaning "I don't
> want to see this message any more, ever again."

Adaptive scoring looks at the marks.  When you read a message, the
mark is r, whereas when you delete it, it's R (or vice versa?).  So
adaptive scoring arranges to increase the score for r articles but
decrease for R articles (or vice versa).

With auto-expire, both kinds of articles are marked E which makes the
distinction difficult.

Therefore, use total-expire if you want adaptive scoring.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory