* drafts and imap
@ 2000-05-23 22:41 Clinton Roy
From: Clinton Roy @ 2000-05-23 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok. i've taken out the imap entry from sources list, and things are
better. so how do i:

* tell the imap back end to only grab mail from my inbox? I've tried
various values of nnimap-list-pattern but nothing seems to work.

* tell imap to store it's cached copy of the server somewhere other then
~/ ?

* get it to stop asking me for username, password and if i want this info
to be carried across the session

My draft group is broken, and i'm this happened before i started
mucking with anything, so i'm pretty sure it's just because of the
upgrade.

i've tried: recompling my .gnus, killing the group, deleting the group
(which isn't supported) and physically ripping out the group from the
underlying file system.

half finished messages do get saved, but all i see in the *group* buffer
is:

        *: nndraft:drafts

I can't find anything recent on drafts from the archives either...

thanks for any help

* Re: drafts and imap
@ 2000-05-24  5:24 ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-05-24  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:

> * tell the imap back end to only grab mail from my inbox? I've tried
> various values of nnimap-list-pattern but nothing seems to work.

What *do* you have for list-pattern? I have the following, and this
only tries to read mail from under ~/mail/ directory:

      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
				      (nnimap "soup"
					      (nnimap-address "soup")
					      (nnimap-list-pattern ( ("mail/" . "*")))))

I think you should also add "INBOX" (I use procmail to filter out
all of my mail, and nothing gets stored in the default spool file).

> * tell imap to store it's cached copy of the server somewhere other then
> ~/ ?

I may be missing something out, but what do you mean by cached copy of
the server? Do you mean that you cache IMAP articles? What for?

> * get it to stop asking me for username, password and if i want this info
> to be carried across the session

Edit your ~/.authinfo file (similar syntax to .netrc).

> My draft group is broken, and i'm this happened before i started
> mucking with anything, so i'm pretty sure it's just because of the
> upgrade.
>
> i've tried: recompling my .gnus, killing the group, deleting the group
> (which isn't supported) and physically ripping out the group from the
> underlying file system.
>
> half finished messages do get saved, but all i see in the *group* buffer
> is:
>
>         *: nndraft:drafts

What happens when you do "M-g" on it?
--
Arcady Genkin
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: drafts and imap
@ 2000-05-24  5:54   ` Clinton Roy
From: Clinton Roy @ 2000-05-24  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 May 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:
>
> > * tell the imap back end to only grab mail from my inbox? I've tried
> > various values of nnimap-list-pattern but nothing seems to work.
>
> What *do* you have for list-pattern? I have the following, and this
> only tries to read mail from under ~/mail/ directory:
>
>       gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
> 				      (nnimap "soup"
> 					      (nnimap-address "soup")
> 					      (nnimap-list-pattern ( ("mail/" . "*")))))
oh, you have to use it inside that, will try later on.

> > * tell imap to store it's cached copy of the server somewhere other then
> > ~/ ?
>
> I may be missing something out, but what do you mean by cached copy of
> the server? Do you mean that you cache IMAP articles? What for?
err. forget that. i've just had a closer look at these files. they're the
sentintel type of email address that pine uses to start it's type of email
folder...

<time passes>

crap. i deleted them. i think they were something to do with the imap
server, i can't access any of my mail now. what on earth can i do?

> > My draft group is broken, and i'm this happened before i started
> > mucking with anything, so i'm pretty sure it's just because of the
> > upgrade.
> >
> > i've tried: recompling my .gnus, killing the group, deleting the group
> > (which isn't supported) and physically ripping out the group from the
> > underlying file system.
> >
> > half finished messages do get saved, but all i see in the *group* buffer
> > is:
> >
> >         *: nndraft:drafts
> What happens when you do "M-g" on it?
from M-x show-message-log:

nndraft:drafts error:

and when i try to select it:
Retrieving newsgroup: nndraft:drafts...
Couldn't request group nndraft:drafts:

not really that useful...

* Re: drafts and imap
@ 2000-05-24 11:38 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Clinton Roy <latte@uq.net.au> writes:

> * tell imap to store it's cached copy of the server somewhere other then
> ~/ ?

I'm not quite sure what you want.  But maybe you're using an IMAP
server which stores its files in your home dir.

Gnus only uses ~/Mail and ~/News by default, so if the files you're
talking about were not in one of those directories, they must come
from somewhere else.

(Gnus also uses ~/.newsrc* and ~/.nnmail-cache.)

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.