* Error at quitting a digest summary buffer
@ 1999-11-04 15:36 Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 1999-11-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

PGnus 0.97
Emacs 20.3.1

After reading some articles in a digest summary buffer
(Linux-Kernel-Digest mailing list, if you are interested) quitting
with `q' causes an error:

Signaling: (args-out-of-range 1 10056)
  hilit-highlight-region(1 10056 nil t)
  hilit-rehighlight-region(1 10056 t)
  #[nil "\b	>„\n
  run-hooks(gnus-mark-article-hook)
  apply(run-hooks gnus-mark-article-hook)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-mark-article-hook)
  gnus-article-prepare(10256 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(10256 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil force)
  gnus-summary-show-article()
  gnus-handle-ephemeral-exit((#<buffer *Summary nnfolder:Linux-Kernel*> . article))
  gnus-summary-exit()
* call-interactively(gnus-summary-exit)

Existing with `c' (and `y' for confirmation) works fine. Also exiting
the buffer without reading articles causes no error.

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz -*- rscholz@tzi.de -*- http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/
FB 3 Informatik, Universitaet Bremen -*- PGP key available via WWW

* Re: Error at quitting a digest summary buffer
@ 1999-11-04 22:07 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <rscholz@tzi.de> writes:

> Signaling: (args-out-of-range 1 10056)
>   hilit-highlight-region(1 10056 nil t)
>   hilit-rehighlight-region(1 10056 t)

Hm.  Wheee...  Why are you using hilit with Gnus?  Gnus does its own
highlighting.  Does it help to turn off hilit for Gnus summary buffers
(and maybe other Gnus buffers, as well)?

In fact, I'm surprised that people still use hilit now that font-lock
is so clearly better maintained and all.  It groks more languages, has
on-the-fly fontification, has on-demand and delayed fontification,
(relatively) easy customization, and stuff.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: Error at quitting a digest summary buffer
@ 1999-11-05 12:46   ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 1999-11-05 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hm.  Wheee...  Why are you using hilit with Gnus?  Gnus does its own
> highlighting.  Does it help to turn off hilit for Gnus summary buffers
> (and maybe other Gnus buffers, as well)?

It does help, thank you. Furthermore I didn't know that Gnus was using
hilit (or the other way round...) because `hilit-mode-enable-list'
didn't contain any Gnus-related modes. 20 secs of reading hilit19.el
made clear that I was wrong... Setting `hilit-inhibit-hooks' on a
non-nil value turns of the hooks for Gnus.

Cheers,
  Ray