I have (set-language-environment "Latin-1"). And, well, you can see my own From header. Apparently, some clients (Gnus included) don't seem to take the hint that the From header is Latin-1, if - the default language environment is something other than Latin-1, and - the body is ASCII-only (there is no CTE header or it says ASCII rather than iso-8859-1). I'm not sure what's supposed to happen. Maybe Gnus should take a look at the headers, and if there is a non-ASCII part in it, the body should at least be encoded in the same non-ASCII encoding. I'm not at all sure, however, what's going to happen if the header is iso-8859-1, say, and the body iso-8859-5. Does somebody know what should happen? kai -- Life is hard and then you die.