From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus v5.8.7 is released
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:52:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre%no-spam@citeweb.net> writes:

> can someone explain to me the difference between GNUS (the old one
> ?), Gnus (the newer one ?) and the one w/ Xemacs ? as I undertood in
> the web pages, GNUS is dead, God saves Gnus :) but what about the
> Xemacs version ?

Well, GNUS is _very_ old.  It latest version is 4.1 or 4.3 or so.  And
then, Lars wrote (ding) Gnus which became Gnus 5.0.  There were
various versions of Gnus 5.x, and as far as I know, the most recent
versions of Emacs and XEmacs come with Gnus 5.7, whereas the most
recent version of Gnus is 5.8.  (Maybe XEmacs comes with Gnus 5.6,
which is more or less the same as 5.7.)

> well. I'm running XEmacs 21.1 w/ Mule under a FreeBSD box. until the
> last week, I was running GNUS (Gnus?) featured w/ XEmacs which is
> version 1.45 from the XEmacs point of view. I upgrade this week end
> w/ some problem. one of them was that I've apel/flim/semi installed
> which imply a conflict about the mailcap.el library. XEmacs found
> the flim one before the gnus one.

Semi is for dealing with MIME.  As Gnus 5.8 also deals with MIME,
these two step on each other's toes.  If you want to use Gnus 5.8, you
must disable Semi and TM and all other packages like it.

(I think it is possible to still use Semi for RMAIL, say, but you must
disable it for Gnus.)

Fwiw, I think there is a new version of Gnus (TGnus?) which was
created by the Semi team and which is based on 5.8 and which includes
additional Semi functionality.  I'm not sure what exactly that is,
though.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.