* prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 17:49 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-12-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

honestly, I looked in the manual first, and then seemed to remember
some old mail about this, but searching the archive didn't return
anything useful... but...

GNUS appears to prefer showing the text/html to the text/plain
alternative.  Consistently even, which makes me think there's some
bias code in there, but I couldn't find it.  How do I make it work the
other way?

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 17:56 ` Randal L. Schwartz
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-12-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randal> honestly, I looked in the manual first, and then seemed to remember
Randal> some old mail about this, but searching the archive didn't return
Randal> anything useful... but...

Randal> GNUS appears to prefer showing the text/html to the text/plain
Randal> alternative.  Consistently even, which makes me think there's some
Randal> bias code in there, but I couldn't find it.  How do I make it work the
Randal> other way?

Bleh... Nevermind... 45 seconds after I posted, I figured out to grep
for text/html in the *.el files, and found it, and now my:

    mm-discouraged-alternatives's value is
    ("text/html" "text/richtext")

Thanks to all who thought to respond in the past 5 minutes. :)

Second question - if I WANTED to see the text/html now, could I? :)

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 18:08   ` Toby Speight
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-12-02 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randal> Randal L. Schwartz <URL:mailto:merlyn@stonehenge.com>

0> In article <m1k8mxdy5t.fsf@halfdome.holdit.com>, Randal wrote:

Randal> Bleh... Nevermind... 45 seconds after I posted, I figured out
Randal> to grep for text/html in the *.el files, and found it, and now
Randal> my:
Randal>
Randal>     mm-discouraged-alternatives's value is
Randal>     ("text/html" "text/richtext")

Me too.  Gnus is great. :-)

Randal> Second question - if I WANTED to see the text/html now, could I? :)

Sure, this is Gnus. :-)

Longer answer: what I normally do is use C-d to get a view of the
component parts, and select the HTML one there.

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 18:14   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-02 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Randal> [ ... ]
>
> Randal> GNUS appears to prefer showing the text/html to the text/plain
> Randal> alternative.  Consistently even, which makes me think there's some
> Randal> bias code in there, but I couldn't find it.  How do I make it work the
> Randal> other way?
>
> Bleh... Nevermind... 45 seconds after I posted, I figured out to grep
> for text/html in the *.el files, and found it, and now my:
>
>     mm-discouraged-alternatives's value is
>     ("text/html" "text/richtext")

This brings up a related question of my own:

I have this exact setting.  For a while, it seemed to actually
discourage the display of text/html, but recently (probably within the
past week or two, but I'm not sure), I started seeing lots of
text/html rendering again, irrespective of this
`mm-discouraged-alternatives' setting.  I've been rather regularly
doing downloads from the CVS archive, the last one being this morning
(12/2/99), and it appears as if perhaps something might have changed
there within the past week or so which causes this to be overridden.

Is that possible?

Also, could someone point me to something which could tell me what
sorts of other settings might cause `mm-discouraged-alternatives' to
be either ignored or overridden?  Maybe something else I'm doing in my
.gnus.el would be interacting with some new Gnus behavior to cause
this variable to apparently be ignored or overridden.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 18:22     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-12-02 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 18:29       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-02 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>  on Thu, 02 Dec 1999
> | I have this exact setting.  For a while, it seemed to actually discourage
> | the display of text/html, but recently (probably within the past week or
> | two, but I'm not sure), I started seeing lots of text/html rendering
> | again, irrespective of this `mm-discouraged-alternatives' setting.
>
> This happens when there is no text/plain part (which is broken, but that is
> a separate issue).

Hmmmm ... Well, I guess it might just be a coincidence, then, that
lately I've been seeing more text/html stuff coming to me without any
text/plain part.

Which brings up another question: does anyone know of an existing
elisp utility (maybe even something in Gnus!) which would do a
quick-and-dirty-but-marginally-acceptable job of removing HTML markup
tags?

Thanks again in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 18:38         ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-12-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Lloyd> Which brings up another question: does anyone know of an
Lloyd> existing elisp utility (maybe even something in Gnus!) which
Lloyd> would do a quick-and-dirty-but-marginally-acceptable job of
Lloyd> removing HTML markup tags?

`nnweb-remove-markup'. Maybe you also need `nnweb-decode-entities', or
`nnwarchive-decode-entities' which supports decoding numbered
entities.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-02 22:34   ` Gerd Boerrigter
From: Gerd Boerrigter @ 1999-12-02 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Second question - if I WANTED to see the text/html now, could I? :)

Sure.  Just press 'K b' to show the mime buttons (or 'M-t' to toggle
them).  Now the different MIME parts are selectable.

Gerd

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
@ 1999-12-04  1:13           ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-12-04  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> [...]
>
> Lloyd> Which brings up another question: does anyone know of an
> Lloyd> existing elisp utility (maybe even something in Gnus!) which
> Lloyd> would do a quick-and-dirty-but-marginally-acceptable job of
> Lloyd> removing HTML markup tags?
>
> `nnweb-remove-markup'. Maybe you also need `nnweb-decode-entities', or
> `nnwarchive-decode-entities' which supports decoding numbered
> entities.

Thank you very much.  After posting this question and reading your
answer, I realize that I should have asked a bit more in my original
query.  The question I really want to ask is this:

Is there a canonical Gnus method for stripping out unwanted HTML and
keeping everything from automatically being sent through the `w3'
package in the case where there is no corresponding text/plain in a
message that contains HTML?

Given that I should be using one or more of the functions you
mentioned above, is there perhaps a hook I should use for this?  Or
does this require some sort of special article treatment?  Or what?

My goal is for any such HTML to be automatically stripped and the
message not filtered through `w3', and in addition, for me to somehow
have the capability to manually cause the article to be passed again
through `w3' if I deem that to be desirable.

I can't find anything in the doc's about this.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: prefer text/plain alternative over text/html
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-12-05 22:32   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-05 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Second question - if I WANTED to see the text/html now, could I? :)

`K b' to buttonize the message, then click on the right (*) button for
the alternative you wish to see.

kai