* Official gnus sounds
@ 1999-05-17 19:25 paul stevenson
From: paul stevenson @ 1999-05-17 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus has the ability to play a jingle at startup, yet does not appear to
come with a sound file.

Is there an official gnus startup jingle? If not, does anyone have a
suitable file, like the plaintive bleat of a lost gnu or something?

Paul

* Re: Official gnus sounds
@ 1999-05-17 19:34 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-05-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

paul stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:
> Gnus has the ability to play a jingle at startup, yet does not
> appear to come with a sound file.
> Is there an official gnus startup jingle?

See gnus-audio.el @ line 119:

	(defvar gnus-startup-jingle "Tuxedomoon.Jingle4.au"
	  "Name of the Gnus startup jingle file.")

And look in e.g. /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/sounds.

Frankly, it's rather a demented and surreal thing to hear every time
Gnus starts.  I enabled it for a while several times, but invariably
I've had to do away with it after a fairly short time.

* Re: Official gnus sounds
@ 1999-05-17 19:42   ` paul stevenson
From: paul stevenson @ 1999-05-17 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> paul stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:
> > Gnus has the ability to play a jingle at startup, yet does not
> > appear to come with a sound file.
> > Is there an official gnus startup jingle?
>
> See gnus-audio.el @ line 119:
>
> 	(defvar gnus-startup-jingle "Tuxedomoon.Jingle4.au"
> 	  "Name of the Gnus startup jingle file.")
>
> And look in e.g. /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/sounds.

Ahh... It seems to be an xemacs thing, unless the rpm'd emacs
packages I installed were deficient:

[~] the003 $ rpm -ql emacs emacs-nox emacs-X11 emacs-el | egrep au$
[~] the003 $

* Re: Official gnus sounds
@ 1999-05-18 10:12   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-18 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

  > See gnus-audio.el @ line 119:
  >
  > 	(defvar gnus-startup-jingle "Tuxedomoon.Jingle4.au"
  > 	  "Name of the Gnus startup jingle file.")
  >
  > And look in e.g. /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/sounds.

Though I've never heard nor seen a gnu, I don't really think it sounds
a lot like a lost gnu plaintively bleaking.  I was really looking
forward to hearing an interesting sound :-|

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]