* (mail) articles moved between nnfolder and nnml disappear
@ 1999-05-11 12:37 Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-05-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject says it all really. When I move articles from my Inbox (which is
nnfolder) to some nnml group I use to keep old mail, it disappears:
- it does not show up in article summary
- it _is_ present in the directory and the .overview contains its summary
- regenerating nnml data structures (in Server buffer using 'g') and then
getting new articles (using 'g' in the Group summary) gives them back

It seems as if the active file is not properly updated..

This problem was not there when I started using nnml groups (when I used
pgnus-0.81).

B.t.w.: Both the nnml and nnfolder backend share the same directory and active
file.

Jaap-Henk

P.S.: As an aside, it is somewhat annoying that moved mail shows up as new mail
in the group to which it is moved. It's been read and processed after all.
Any ideas how to change this behaviour?

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down

* Re: (mail) articles moved between nnfolder and nnml disappear
@ 1999-05-11 12:48 ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1999-05-11 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> P.S.: As an aside, it is somewhat annoying that moved mail shows up
> as new mail in the group to which it is moved. It's been read and
> processed after all.  Any ideas how to change this behaviour?

This doesn't happen for me. Articles keep their state during a move
operation. Although, I usually only move between different nnml
groups.

* Re: (mail) articles moved between nnfolder and nnml disappear
@ 1999-05-11 13:23 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-11 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

  > Subject says it all really. When I move articles from my Inbox (which is
  > nnfolder) to some nnml group I use to keep old mail, it disappears:
  > - it does not show up in article summary
  > - it _is_ present in the directory and the .overview contains its summary
  > - regenerating nnml data structures (in Server buffer using 'g') and then
  > getting new articles (using 'g' in the Group summary) gives them back

Does it appear when you say C-u = or C-u RET or C-u SPC to enter the
group?  (There's also a menu item `see old articles' which does this.)

  > It seems as if the active file is not properly updated..
  >
  > This problem was not there when I started using nnml groups (when I used
  > pgnus-0.81).
  >
  > B.t.w.: Both the nnml and nnfolder backend share the same
  > directory and active file.

Do you have nnfolder and nnml groups with the same names?  That might
be problematic.  And I would suggest to make them use different
directories and active files anyway.

  > P.S.: As an aside, it is somewhat annoying that moved mail shows
  > up as new mail in the group to which it is moved. It's been read
  > and processed after all.  Any ideas how to change this behaviour?

This doesn't happen for me.  Whichever marks the article has before
moving, the article has the same marks after moving.  But I don't use
several backends, I only move within my nnml backend.

Hm.

I've actually got a second nntodo backend, and marks are preserved
there, too.  I think.  Wouldn't bet on it, though.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: (mail) articles moved between nnfolder and nnml disappear
@ 1999-05-11 13:55   ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-05-11 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 May 1999 15:23:31 +0200 Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
> Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:
>
>   > Subject says it all really. When I move articles from my Inbox (which is
>   > nnfolder) to some nnml group I use to keep old mail, it disappears:
>   > - it does not show up in article summary
>   > - it _is_ present in the directory and the .overview contains its summary
>   > - regenerating nnml data structures (in Server buffer using 'g') and then
>   > getting new articles (using 'g' in the Group summary) gives them back
>
> Does it appear when you say C-u = or C-u RET or C-u SPC to enter the
> group?  (There's also a menu item `see old articles' which does this.)

For all my mail groups (in one mail topic) I have

((visible . t)
 (display . all))

I see all other old articles anyway, so that is not the cause of the problems.

>   > It seems as if the active file is not properly updated..
>   >
>   > This problem was not there when I started using nnml groups (when I used
>   > pgnus-0.81).
>   >
>   > B.t.w.: Both the nnml and nnfolder backend share the same
>   > directory and active file.
>
> Do you have nnfolder and nnml groups with the same names?  That might
> be problematic.  And I would suggest to make them use different
> directories and active files anyway.

I'll give that a try...

Come to think of it, somewhere in the past I had a problem with nnfolder
thinking that an nnml directory was a nnfolder file. It turned out to be pretty
tough to delete that ghost group :-)

>   > P.S.: As an aside, it is somewhat annoying that moved mail shows
>   > up as new mail in the group to which it is moved. It's been read
>   > and processed after all.  Any ideas how to change this behaviour?
>
> This doesn't happen for me.  Whichever marks the article has before
> moving, the article has the same marks after moving.  But I don't use
> several backends, I only move within my nnml backend.

?

I checked again and indeed now my mail keeps the read mark when moved. Is this
a fix in pgnus 0.84 (just upgraded today from 0.81)? I'll investigate this
further.

Jaap-Henk

--

@ 1999-05-11 14:10     ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-05-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 May 1999 15:55:30 +0200 Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:
> On 11 May 1999 15:23:31 +0200 Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
> > Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:
> >   > It seems as if the active file is not properly updated..
> >   >
> >   > This problem was not there when I started using nnml groups (when I used
> >   > pgnus-0.81).
> >   >
> >   > B.t.w.: Both the nnml and nnfolder backend share the same
> >   > directory and active file.
> >
> > Do you have nnfolder and nnml groups with the same names?  That might
> > be problematic.  And I would suggest to make them use different
> > directories and active files anyway.
>
> I'll give that a try...

I did, and this solved the problem right away.

It's slightly unelegant to have a ~/Mail/nnfolder and ~/Mail/nnml directory
structure. I guess the manual should be made clearer to indicate the possible
problems of sharing a single directory for multiple backends. Maybe even the
default values for nnml-directory and nnfolder-directory etc. should be changed
to use separate directories to avoid possible pitfalls.

Jaap-Henk

--

@ 1999-05-11 15:31       ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-11 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

  > It's slightly unelegant to have a ~/Mail/nnfolder and ~/Mail/nnml
  > directory structure. I guess the manual should be made clearer to
  > indicate the possible problems of sharing a single directory for
  > multiple backends. Maybe even the default values for
  > nnml-directory and nnfolder-directory etc. should be changed to
  > use separate directories to avoid possible pitfalls.

The problem with changing the default value is that people who use it
won't be able to read their mail with the changed value.

However, the default value should be changed.  Hm. :-|

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]