* archive?
@ 1996-08-29 16:06 Peter Svaar
From: Peter Svaar @ 1996-08-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Gnus and nnml to read and store mail, but I want an archiving system
for in- and outgoing mail. the nnml-structure isn't the easiest to archive,
it's much easier with RMAIL files. how can I (automatically, preferably)
store in- and outgoing mail as well as outgoing news messages in a
directory structure like f.ex /home/peter/mailarchive/1996/february/? one
directory for each month etc. and it should probably be som sort of indexer
so that I can easily search the database.

--
Peter Svaar          |      Phone #: +47 22 69 59 94
peter@svaar.no       |     Beeper #: +47 96 76 83 83

* Re: archive?
@ 1996-09-25 14:07 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-09-25 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Peter> [...] how can I (automatically, preferably) store in- and
  Peter> outgoing mail as well as outgoing news messages in a
  Peter> directory structure like f.ex
  Peter> /home/peter/mailarchive/1996/february/? one directory for
  Peter> each month etc. and it should probably be som sort of indexer
  Peter> so that I can easily search the database.

You can store outgoing (news and mail) messages in any group you like
with the Gcc header feature.  Just set the variable
gnus-outgoing-message-group and you will get a Gcc header in every
message you compose.  That header can be edited if you like.

For incoming mail, you might want to look at the fancy split methods.
This allows you to put one incoming mail into several groups.

If you're like me and you start Emacs every day, then something like
this should be enough for the outgoing part:

; warning: untested code ahead
(setq gnus-outgoing-message-group
      (concat "nnfolder:outgoing."
              (format-time-string "%Y.%b" (current-time))))

You could use a similar concat expression to put in
nnmail-split-fancy.

hth,
kai
--