* gnus processing getting out of hand (timewise)
@ 2001-08-29 15:26 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-08-29 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running todays cvs:
[ The behavior is not peculiar to todays cvs but has been coming on
over time]

I'm noticing longer and longer processing times for things like
generating a summary buffer or sorting/limiting by various means.

And even just pressing `g' which in my setup is done off line and used
to be fairly fast.

I suspect things in ~/.gnus are partially responsible (get to that
later).  And some of it is new code being added like the marks stuff.

I wondered if it is already possible to put some of that processing
into G p settings, so that it doesn't affect all groups.  An example
might be code that adds  new headers like keywords headers and such.
This must add to process time, but maybe not too much if confined to
certain groups.

If this is already possible, I'd like to see a couple of examples.

Now, about that ~/.gnus.  I'm hoping some posters here will not mind
taking a look at what is in it here:

       http://www.ptw.com/~reader/exp/gnus/gnus.html

I'm not sure what things in there may be the big hogs, but suspect
people here would know at a glance.  I've trimmed out a massive split
list and other useless junk (probably not all of it though) and
trimmed it down to 141 lines.  Hopefully someone who knows what they
are looking at can power scroll through it in a few moments and post
back what things are resource hogs.

I'm pretty sure there are a few readers who would find the information
usefull besides myself.

* Re: gnus processing getting out of hand (timewise)
@ 2001-08-30 22:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-30 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I'm not sure what things in there may be the big hogs, but suspect
> people here would know at a glance.

Hm.  I can't see much.  The summary line format might be a problem for
entering a group.  With (setq gnus-verbose 10) you should see when
Gnus starts to generate the summary buffer -- if that takes too long
you might twiddle the summary line format.

Does it help to add (gnus-compile) just before (gnus-agentize)?

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature