* upgrading help request
@ 2000-07-04 17:09 Spencer Marks
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Spencer Marks @ 2000-07-04 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am having trouble upgrading to 5.8.7 and would really appreicate
some help.

First, I am upgrading in the hopes of handling attachments better. (I
am using FSF emacs, would I have better look with xemacs? Note: if
this is a "hot" topic, I didn't mean to ignite anything. Non baised
pro and cons would be wlecome though).

I downloaded the source in gnus.tar.gz and compiled it. I also noticed
other archives pgnus and pspackages and etc.tar.gz. From reading the
readmes, it looks pgnus and and gnus are the same thing with different
version numbers? That is periodically pgnus gets rolled in gnus. Is
this correct? If not, which do people recommend I use? I couldn't
determine what etc or pspackage where for.

Next, I installed 5.8.7 by just by adding

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/lisp") load-path))

(setq Info-default-directory-list
        (cons "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/texi" Info-default-directory-list))

That seemed to do the the trick. However, my existing .gnus file
didn't seem to work. I narrowed the problem down to this line:

(setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

I really did spend some time reseaching this issue, but the best I
could come up with was the fact that things have changed and I am not
the only one stuck. The entry in the FAQ didn't help me enough to get
straighted out. I am using procmail to split my spool into a bunch of
seperate files all under ~/mail/nnfolder.

If anyone out there wouldn't mind holding my hand through this I'd be
grateful.

I've appended my existing .gnus file. Save for above line, things seem
to work OK. When I comment out the problematic line gnus startup
OK, but, as I'd expect, checking mail files. It just stay in the
incoming folder.

Thanks much,

Spencer

;; comment the next line to in order to be able to
;; read news as primary.
;; this also requires
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnfolder ""))

;; and uncomment this line:
;; '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.ne.mediaone.net")))

(setq nnmail-use-procmail t)

(setq nnmail-spool-file "~/mail/incoming/sam")
(setq nnfolder-directory "~/mail/nnfolder/")
(setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/mail/incoming/")

;;(setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

;; probably junk, but Stan doesn't remember why this is here
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.ne.mediaone.net")))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "")))

(setq nnmail-procmail-suffix "")

(setq message-default-mail-headers

(setq mail-default-headers

;;(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
;;(add-hook 'news-reply-mode-hook 'mc-install-write-mode)

(setq gnus-your-domain "digisolutions.com")

;; keep old mail around
(setq mail-archive-file "~/mail/outgoing")

* Re: upgrading help request
@ 2000-07-04 20:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-07-04 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Spencer Marks <smarks@digisolutions.com> writes:

> First, I am upgrading in the hopes of handling attachments better. (I
> am using FSF emacs, would I have better look with xemacs? Note: if
> this is a "hot" topic, I didn't mean to ignite anything. Non baised
> pro and cons would be wlecome though).

As far as I can tell, MIME support in Gnus 5.8 works equally well in
both Emacsen.  Well, XEmacs can display images and Emacs 20 can't, so
that makes a bit of a difference.

> I downloaded the source in gnus.tar.gz and compiled it. I also noticed
> other archives pgnus and pspackages and etc.tar.gz. From reading the
> readmes, it looks pgnus and and gnus are the same thing with different
> version numbers? That is periodically pgnus gets rolled in gnus. Is
> this correct? If not, which do people recommend I use? I couldn't
> determine what etc or pspackage where for.

No, officially released Gnus versions are numbered; the development
versions are named.  It all started with `(ding) Gnus' which became
Gnus 5.0, then there was September Gnus, Red Gnus, Quassia Gnus,
and now Pterodactyl Gnus which became 5.8.  After 5.8, there will be
Oort Gnus.

> Next, I installed 5.8.7 by just by adding
>
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/lisp") load-path))
>
> (setq Info-default-directory-list
>         (cons "~/gnus-sandbox/gnus-5.8.7/texi" Info-default-directory-list))
>
> That seemed to do the the trick.

Right.

> However, my existing .gnus file didn't seem to work. I narrowed the
> problem down to this line:
>
> (setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)
>
> I really did spend some time reseaching this issue, but the best I
> could come up with was the fact that things have changed and I am not
> the only one stuck.

Gnus comes with a file GNUS-NEWS or similar, which describes this.
The very first entry describes your problem.  Does this help?

> The entry in the FAQ didn't help me enough to get straighted out.

I'm hoping that the GNUS-NEWS file is sufficiently detailed, and that
the documentation of the new variable mail-sources also helps.  If
this isn't sufficient, please post again.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: upgrading help request
@ 2000-07-04 20:59 ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 2000-07-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Spencer Marks <smarks@digisolutions.com> writes:

> (setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

Did you read "Mail Sources, Mail Source Specifiers" in the info files?
--
Robin S. Socha  <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

* Re: upgrading help request
@ 2000-07-05  8:04 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-07-05  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Spencer Marks <smarks@digisolutions.com> writes:

> (setq nnmail-use-procmail t)
> (setq nnmail-spool-file "~/mail/incoming/sam")
> (setq nnmail-procmail-directory "~/mail/incoming/")
> (setq nnmail-procmail-suffix "")

These lines should be replaced with

; For ~/mail/incoming/sam
(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(file :path "~/mail/incoming/sam"))

; For the procmail part
(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(directory :path "~/mail/incoming/"
                                       :suffix ""))

In private mail, you asked me about the use of the suffix part.  Note
that the directory ~/mail/incoming/ contains files which should be
treated by the second rule, but it also contains a file
~/mail/incoming/sam which should NOT be treated by the second rule.

Therefore, I think it is best if you rewrite all your procmail rules
to write to ~/mail/incoming/foo.bar.in rather than
~/mail/incoming/foo.bar, and then use a suffix for the procmail
mail-sources setting, like so: