* Message `unexists'
@ 2000-06-05  0:47 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-05  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen the unlikely statement `message unexists' turn up in these
circumstances:

In agent mode  Select an undownloaded message and put the download
(%) mark on it.  Close group go plugged and press `J u' on that group.
To down load the wanted message.

Go unplugged again and open group, then try to open the message in
question.

That `unexists' message pops up.   I've found if I open a different
message then come back to the newly downloaded one, something is
cleared somewhere and the message opens.

This time I have a particularly stubborn case where the above proceedure
still won't open the message, and I continue to get the `unexits' message.

Repeated attempts at marking for download, downloading with `J u'
opening various messages then the questionable one, and I still get:

`Message unexists'   What does that unlikely statement really mean anyway.

* Re: Message `unexists'
@ 2000-06-05  1:04 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-06-05  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've seen the unlikely statement `message unexists' turn up in these
> circumstances:
>
> In agent mode  Select an undownloaded message and put the download
> (%) mark on it.  Close group go plugged and press `J u' on that group.
> To down load the wanted message.
>
> Go unplugged again and open group, then try to open the message in
> question.
>
> That `unexists' message pops up.   I've found if I open a different
> message then come back to the newly downloaded one, something is
> cleared somewhere and the message opens.
>
> This time I have a particularly stubborn case where the above proceedure
> still won't open the message, and I continue to get the `unexits' message.
>
> Repeated attempts at marking for download, downloading with `J u'
> opening various messages then the questionable one, and I still get:
>
> `Message unexists'   What does that unlikely statement really mean anyway.

After `J u', does the file exist in the agent directory? What is the
article entry in .agentview ?

Shenghuo

* Re: Message `unexists'
@ 2000-06-05  9:58   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-06-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > I've seen the unlikely statement `message unexists' turn up in these
> > circumstances:
> >
> > In agent mode  Select an undownloaded message and put the download
> > (%) mark on it.  Close group go plugged and press `J u' on that group.
> > To down load the wanted message.
> >
> > Go unplugged again and open group, then try to open the message in
> > question.
> >
> > That `unexists' message pops up.   I've found if I open a different
> > message then come back to the newly downloaded one, something is
> > cleared somewhere and the message opens.
> >
> > This time I have a particularly stubborn case where the above proceedure
> > still won't open the message, and I continue to get the `unexits' message.
> >
> > Repeated attempts at marking for download, downloading with `J u'
> > opening various messages then the questionable one, and I still get:
> >
> > `Message unexists'   What does that unlikely statement really mean anyway.
>
> After `J u', does the file exist in the agent directory? What is the
> article entry in .agentview ?

The special stubborn case that I posted about was cleared up by a
restart of gnus.  I didn't think to check the things you mention
before restarting.  I haven't even been able to reproduce the first
case I described, which has happened many times.

Maybe complaining about it .. fixed it...

* Re: Message `unexists'
@ 2000-06-05 11:15 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-05 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> `Message unexists'   What does that unlikely statement really mean anyway.

Seems to be Newspeak for `does not exist'.  Newspeak is from George
Orwell's 1984?

Double plus good, plus good, good, ungood, plus ungood, double plus ungood...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Message `unexists'
@ 2000-06-05 17:26   ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 2000-06-05 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > `Message unexists'   What does that unlikely statement really mean anyway.
>
> Seems to be Newspeak for `does not exist'.  Newspeak is from George
> Orwell's 1984?

Yes, and BBDB has most of its messages in Newspeak. So likely BBDB was
confused.

Hans