* Server Buffer edits
@ 1999-11-13 22:26 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-11-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an explanation somewhere as to what guidlines are in force
when editing a server.  Some are editable some are not.  Doesn't seem
to make any difference if a server has groups active or is open or
closed.

The ones that open for editing when pressing "e" do so regardless or
those conditions.  The ones that do not open, do so regardless of
those conditions too.

The info "Server buffer" section doesn't seem to go into this aspect.

What differentiates an editable server from non-editable.

My server buffer has this break down:

edit       {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
edit       {nnml:n2m} (opened)

noedit     {nndir:~/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/gnu/emacs/gnus/} (opened)
noedit     {nndir:~/spool/backup/} (opened)
noedit     {nndraft:} (opened)
noedit     {nnml:} (opened)
noedit     {nntp:enews.newsguy.com} (opened)

* Re: Server Buffer edits
@ 1999-11-13 22:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-13 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there an explanation somewhere as to what guidlines are in force
> when editing a server.  Some are editable some are not.  Doesn't seem
> to make any difference if a server has groups active or is open or
> closed.

I don't really know, but my guess is that the native server and the
secondary servers are not editable, but foreign servers are.  And I
think the servers that are automatically created (nndraft comes to
mind) are also uneditable.

Who knows the real story?

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: Server Buffer edits
@ 1999-11-15 19:38   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-15 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't really know, but my guess is that the native server and the
> secondary servers are not editable, but foreign servers are.  And I
> think the servers that are automatically created (nndraft comes to
> mind) are also uneditable.
>
> Who knows the real story?

That's the real story.  :-)

* Re: Server Buffer edits
@ 1999-11-17  2:31     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-11-17  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > I don't really know, but my guess is that the native server and the
> > secondary servers are not editable, but foreign servers are.  And I
> > think the servers that are automatically created (nndraft comes to
> > mind) are also uneditable.
> >
> > Who knows the real story?
>
> That's the real story.  :-)

What is a good definition of a foreign server then?

Is it just one that you've created in any backend as long as it is not
listed in .gnus as a secondary server?  Or in the select methods?

I've created an nnml server by editing server buffer and done nothing
else in any init or *.el files by hand.  That server remains
editable. So is it a "foreign" server?

* Re: Server Buffer edits
@ 1999-11-17 11:18       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-17 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've created an nnml server by editing server buffer and done nothing
> else in any init or *.el files by hand.  That server remains
> editable. So is it a "foreign" server?

Yes.  I think a server is either built-in (nndraft) or native
(gnus-select-method) or secondary (gnus-secondary-select-methods), or
else it is foreign.

kai