* gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable
@ 1999-11-07 10:06 Karl EICHWALDER
From: Karl EICHWALDER @ 1999-11-07 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know, this issue was discussed lately...  (please, read again Kai's
remarks).  gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable should not move to
unread/unticked article.  Instead it should move next article; it
shouldn't not care whether this article is read or unread.

The (my) scenario is as follows: From time to time I decide to walk
through old mail, sequentially, and to mark some of them with `E'.
Doing this, the cursor flips to the next unread one -- and that's
certainly not te action which helps me to finish my plan: to expire old
read mail ;-)

If you don't want to change the default behavior, please improve the doc
string:

Mark N articles forward as expirable and move to the next unread article.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If N is negative, mark backward instead.  The difference between N and
the actual number of articles marked is returned.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe!

--
work    : ke@suse.de                          |
        : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |       ------    ,__o

* Re: gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable
@ 1999-11-07 13:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-07 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl EICHWALDER <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> [...]  gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable should not move to
> unread/unticked article.  Instead it should move next article; it
> shouldn't not care whether this article is read or unread. [...]

Because of this, I have set gnus-summary-goto-unread to `never'.

But I still think that it should be possible to make marking and
moving orthogonal, ie for every mark there should be a command that
goes to the next article, a command that goes to the next unread
(unmarked?) article, the two analogous commands for previous messages,
and a command that doesn't move at all.

Once we have these commands, some clever scheme could be designed for
choosing key bindings.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser