* moving nntp servers
@ 1999-10-25  2:22 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-10-25  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all:

I've changed ISP, and guess what... after I changed gnus-select-method
to the new server name, all of my cusomizations got lost. ;^)

I then read the appropriate section in the info file, and understand
that I can't save indices for read/unread articles in the groups that
I was reading off my former primary server. However, I also read news
off 2 foreign servers, and use nnml for mail groups.

My questions are:

1. Can I not lose my Topics layout? Is it possible to retain
newsgroups' names in their old Topics, albeit with wrong indices?

2. What should I do to shield my foreign and mail groups from the
transitional chaos? I have some messages ticked in mailgroups, as well
as *have to* keep indices on the foreign groups.

I can only access the new server. I now set gnus-select-method back to
"news1.on.sympatico.ca", so that Gnus reads old
".newsrc-news1.on.sympatico.ca.eld". What will happen if I renamed it
into ".newsrc-my.new.server.eld"?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who

* Re: moving nntp servers
@ 1999-10-25  7:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-25  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> 1. Can I not lose my Topics layout? Is it possible to retain
> newsgroups' names in their old Topics, albeit with wrong indices?

Hm.  What happens if you say M-x
gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET, then change the NNTP
server?  Make a backup copy of your .newsrc.eld file, first.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: moving nntp servers
@ 1999-10-25  7:49   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-10-25  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > 1. Can I not lose my Topics layout? Is it possible to retain
> > newsgroups' names in their old Topics, albeit with wrong indices?
>
> Hm.  What happens if you say M-x
> gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET, then change the NNTP
> server?  Make a backup copy of your .newsrc.eld file, first.

Do you mean change it through gnus-change-server command or just by
changing gnus-select-method variable?

Thanks,
--

@ 1999-10-25  8:53     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-25  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Do you mean change it through gnus-change-server command or just by
> changing gnus-select-method variable?

I was thinking of changing the variable directly.  I think
gnus-change-server needs access to both servers at the same time.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: moving nntp servers
@ 1999-10-28  1:06   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-10-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
> > 1. Can I not lose my Topics layout? Is it possible to retain
> > newsgroups' names in their old Topics, albeit with wrong indices?
>
> Hm.  What happens if you say M-x
> gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET, then change the NNTP
> server?  Make a backup copy of your .newsrc.eld file, first.

Hi! Just to follow up... When I did
gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups, and then changed
gnus-select-method to my new nntp server name, gnus read the old
groups off the new server w/o problems.

The only problem was that gnus used to save its data into
.newsrc-news1.on.sympatico.ca.eld (corresponds to my previous news
server), and when I changed it to the new one, on exit it still saved
into the old file.

On next start, gnus didn't read the old
.newsrc-news1.on.sympatico.ca.eld, but loaded .newsrc.eld instead. I
thus lost all of my topics, susbscribed groups names etc. However,
renaming .newsrc-news1.on.sympatico.ca.eld into .newsrc.eld solved
even that.

After that little playing, I must admit that the transition was rather
painless. Cheers to that!

Thanks,