* Saving group properties to separate file?
@ 1997-12-10  9:18 jari.aalto
From: jari.aalto @ 1997-12-10  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hi,

    There are occasions when I have to kill a group and then recreate
    it again before I can get Gnus to see the messages in the group
    again (can't give any specific reason why that happened, See the
    MIME post of my resent report; where nnml got stuck.)

    There is only one problem, the group parameters are killed too.
    Would it be possible to save the group parameters to separate
    file instead of the newsrc, and then re-read the file again when
    I had re-created the groups(s).

    Also if accident happens and I killed newswrc.eld, _all_ the
    group parameters are lost. (I may have exceeded my quota and I have to
    detlete the file anyway.)

    I don't mind the article count and tick mark lossage, but it's a big
    loss that I can't keep backup of the group parameters in a separate file,
    which would be very small.

    jari

* Re: Saving group properties to separate file?
@ 1997-12-10 11:36 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-12-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Jari>     There are occasions when I have to kill a group and then
  Jari>     recreate it again before I can get Gnus to see the
  Jari>     messages in the group again (can't give any specific
  Jari>     reason why that happened, See the MIME post of my resent
  Jari>     report; where nnml got stuck.)

If you have such frequent problems with Gnus, I think there must be
something strange going on.  I have used Gnus for years now and I've
never had such strange problems!  Not even with the development
versions I had been using for a while.  Right now, I use Gnus 5.5 as
distributed with Emacs 20.2 and that seems stable enough.  Are you
sure you aren't doing strange things to Gnus?  Such as using a hacked
version with Emacs 19.28? ;-)

  Jari>     There is only one problem, the group parameters are killed
  Jari>     too.  Would it be possible to save the group parameters to
  Jari>     separate file instead of the newsrc, and then re-read the
  Jari>     file again when I had re-created the groups(s).

Well, the obvious solution is to edit the group parameters then use
copy and paste to write them to a file.  This is not automatic, of
course.  AFAIK there is no way to really do what you want.

--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/

* Re: Saving group properties to separate file?
@ 1997-12-10 12:43   ` jari.aalto
From: jari.aalto @ 1997-12-10 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

 97-12-10 Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> list.ding

|   Jari>     There are occasions when I have to kill a group and then
|   Jari>     recreate it again before I can get Gnus to see the
|   Jari>     messages in the group again
|
| If you have such frequent problems with Gnus, I think there must be
| something strange going on.  I have used Gnus for years now and I've
| never had such strange problems!

I assume your setup is quite solid; while I add/move/create and delete
new nnfolder and nnml groups from time to time whatever procmail rules
I may add or delete or adjust.

It happened after I recreated nov databases and couldn't get gnus to read the
new messages any more. The MIME report I sent contained all the information
I could think of I could report.

When the problem arises I don't know what triggered it, so it's
kind of hard to find out what steps and report the "maybe" bug.

| sure you aren't doing strange things to Gnus?  Such as using a hacked
| version with Emacs 19.28? ;-)

Just Std 19.34 and the latest ding, well 0.18 is still unpacked.

|   Jari>     There is only one problem, the group parameters are killed
|   Jari>     too.  Would it be possible to save the group parameters to
|   Jari>     separate file instead of the newsrc, and then re-read the
|   Jari>     file again when I had re-created the groups(s).
|
| Well, the obvious solution is to edit the group parameters then use
| copy and paste to write them to a file.  This is not automatic, of
| course.  AFAIK there is no way to really do what you want.

I wished they would be put to separate file where user could edit all
the parameters at once. I find it tedious to "enter group params", "edit"
"exit group params" for 10-20 groups. It's easy when you set them once,
but in catastrophy, you have to start all over again and you can't
remember exactly what values did you set for each group.

But more I wished that I could safely kill the .newsrc.eld, which would only
have the article number and tick information, if i had the urgent need
to save space.

Btw, hows that compressed .eld ? Did it got added to Gnus already from
my patch. It would be very valuable for most of the user's that don't
have the luxury for unlimited disk space.

I consider the group param information more precious to preserve, and
that made me wonder if they could be placed to separate file by Gnus.

@ 1997-12-10 15:02 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1997-12-10 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

<jari.aalto@poboxes.com> writes:

>     There are occasions when I have to kill a group and then recreate
>     it again before I can get Gnus to see the messages in the group

> I assume your setup is quite solid; while I add/move/create and delete
> new nnfolder and nnml groups from time to time whatever procmail rules
> I may add or delete or adjust.

You aren't using anything other than Gnus to write to any of your
groups, are you?  If procmail or some other mail utility is being used
on the same files as Gnus is using for groups, bad things are very
likely to happen.  You should not do this.

I assume that this is not the case, but if it is, you probably want to
find another method.

> I find it tedious to "enter group params", "edit" "exit group
> params" for 10-20 groups.

If the parameters (or some of them) are similar for several groups,
you should probably use Topic Parameters.  That way, you only have to
enter the redundant parameters once.

> But more I wished that I could safely kill the .newsrc.eld, which would only
> have the article number and tick information, if i had the urgent need
> to save space.

Basic info contained in .newsrc* also includes (and likely always will
include) the subscribedness state of groups.  It seems rather silly to
want to be able to delete this and keep the parameters for the groups.

What good are group parameters without knowing what groups you are
even subscribed to?

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.