* highlight-problem
@ 1996-05-21 11:58 Stefan Janke
From: Stefan Janke @ 1996-05-21 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
  Stefan Janke
  Informatik an der UniBw Muenchen
  email: gonzo@burg.studfb.unibw-muenchen.de

* Re: highlight-problem
@ 1996-05-21 13:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Janke <gonzo@burg.studfb.unibw-muenchen.de> writes:

> I do use the hl-319 for highlighting and it works very good with most
> modes, but with the sgnus-packet I dont get such a good result as with
> the Gnus-5.1 from emacs-19.30. I want want black for grupps with less
> than 20 messages, green for groups with a message-number between 20
> and 100 and red with more than 100 messages (that in Gnus-5.1).
> But in sgnus I will get all groups bold and only green and red , that
> means, that also the groups with less than 20 messages are green.
> Wth would solve this problem ??

The hilit/font-lock highlighting model isn't really suited for
programs like Gnus.  The information displayed in the buffers is
usually only a small subset of the information available on the items,
and the format is highly mallable.

The `gnus-group-highlight' variable controls the highlighting in the
group buffer.  See the manual for details.

* Re: highlight-problem
@ 1996-05-21 14:53 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-05-21 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Stefan> I do use the hl-319 for highlighting and it works very good
  Stefan> with most modes, but with the sgnus-packet I dont get such a
  Stefan> good result as with the Gnus-5.1 from emacs-19.30. [...]

Gnus has built-in highlighting.  The best approach to highlighting
with Gnus would be to do away with font-lock or hilit and use the
built-in way.  It's not all that complicated, really, if you know
about faces.

The general idea is that you have a description of what groups should
be printed with which faces, and you assign properties (like bold,
underline, background color, foreground color) to these faces.

Here's how you make a face and change its properties:

    (make-face 'my-small-group-face)
    (make-face-bold 'my-small-group-face)
    (set-face-foreground 'my-small-group-face "green")

Here's how you create a description that sez groups with less than 20
unread articles should be printed with my-small-group-face:

    (setq gnus-group-highlight
          (list
            '( (< unread 20) . my-small-group-face )
            ;; add more lines here at your leisure
          )
    )

Type M-x apropos RET face RET to get a list of functions that deal
with faces.  Type C-h v gnus-group-highlight RET to get a description
of what parameters you can use to define the faces for the groups.

For a good description of what gnus-group-highlight can do, go to the
node `Group Highlighting' in the SGnus manual.

hth,
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.