* Suggestion for a nicer summary buffer
@ 2001-08-19 22:15 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-08-19 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got two ideas how to improve the summary buffer:

1) A new variable top-of-thread-line-format. This should be used to
print the summary line which stands for a collapsed thread, so you could
have infos about the thread there (number of articles, thread score...)
When the thread is expanded it should be, redrawn using summary-line-format.

2) Assume 1 is done it should be possible to give those lines a face
in gnus-summary-highlight depending on the thread score.
That means I would like to be able to say:
"If the line stands for a collapsed thread and the thread score is
between 500 and 1000 draw it using the face XYZ"

I tried to do it on my own, but on 1) I can't even find the code where
the line is drawn.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Suggestion for a nicer summary buffer
@ 2001-08-21 12:28 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-08-21 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <Azzrael@rz-online.de> writes:

>I've got two ideas how to improve the summary buffer:
>
>1) A new variable top-of-thread-line-format.
>2) Assume 1 is done it should be possible to give those lines a face
>in gnus-summary-highlight depending on the thread score.

I'm wondering if the news-mail gateway doesn't work, or if nobody likes
the idea.

--

@ 2001-08-21 13:08   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-21 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Schmitt <Azzrael@rz-online.de> writes:

> Frank Schmitt <Azzrael@rz-online.de> writes:
>
>>I've got two ideas how to improve the summary buffer:
>>
>>1) A new variable top-of-thread-line-format.
>>2) Assume 1 is done it should be possible to give those lines a face
>>in gnus-summary-highlight depending on the thread score.
>
> I'm wondering if the news-mail gateway doesn't work, or if nobody likes
> the idea.

Fwiw, I like it.  Liked it back then, too.  But it wasn't _so_
important for me -- I've got expanded threads anyway.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: Suggestion for a nicer summary buffer
@ 2001-08-21 13:54     ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-08-21 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Fwiw, I like it.  Liked it back then, too.  But it wasn't _so_
>important for me -- I've got expanded threads anyway.

Anybody out there who ones gnus-sum.el and can shortly explain to me
where the summary is actually drawn?

The only place I can think of is

	    (gnus-put-text-property
	     (point)
	     (progn (eval gnus-summary-line-format-spec) (point))
	     'gnus-number number)

in gnus-summary-prepare-threads but shouldn't gnus-put-text-property
just change the properties of the text between the two points?

--

@ 2001-08-21 15:04       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Frank Schmitt <Azzrael@rz-online.de> writes:

> The only place I can think of is
>
> 	    (gnus-put-text-property
> 	     (point)
> 	     (progn (eval gnus-summary-line-format-spec) (point))
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	     'gnus-number number)

I'm guessing the eval part does it.  Type C-h v
gnus-summary-line-format-spec RET, and you'll see it contains
bytecode.  Whatever that may do, but I'm guessing it inserts summary
lines.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-21 22:05 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-21 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <Azzrael@rz-online.de> writes:

> 1) A new variable top-of-thread-line-format. This should be used to
> print the summary line which stands for a collapsed thread, so you could
> have infos about the thread there (number of articles, thread score...)
> When the thread is expanded it should be, redrawn using summary-line-format.

Hm...  That's a pretty good idea, I think.

> I tried to do it on my own, but on 1) I can't even find the code where
> the line is drawn.

It's the `eval' in `gnus-summary-prepare-threads'.  On line 4391.

(Wow.  How long is that file, anyway?  Oops.  10K lines.)