* nnimap UIDVALIDITY problem on exchange server
@ 2000-06-20  7:55 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-06-20  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a long time, I was able to read mail in my INBOX on an exchange
server.  Then last Thursday, things stopped working.  I got some very
strange behaviour, then I got messages about wrong UIDVALIDITY.

I did a G p and removed the UIDVALIDITY entry, and that removed the
error messages.

However now I am unable to read the messages using IMAP.  I see new
messages as a count of unread messages on that mail group, however
when I open it there are no new messages to be found.

I can see by using Outlook that there are actually messages there.
When I mark some messages as unread in Outlook I see a count of new
messages on the mail group, however when I enter the group there are
no messages there, and the messages are marked as read when seen from
Outlook.

I tried deleting the group with G del and then resubscribing, but this
didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: nnimap UIDVALIDITY problem on exchange server
@ 2000-06-20  9:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-20  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> For a long time, I was able to read mail in my INBOX on an exchange
> server.  Then last Thursday, things stopped working.  I got some very
> strange behaviour, then I got messages about wrong UIDVALIDITY.
>
> I did a G p and removed the UIDVALIDITY entry, and that removed the
> error messages.

I think that might not have been a good idea.  Gnus remembers things
about a group based on article numbers.  And when the UIDVALIDITY
value changes, that means the article numbers might have changed, too.

Your idea of `G DEL'-ing the group was a good one.  Maybe the group
wasn't really deleted?  I think it is important to say `s' to save the
.newsrc.eld file, then check the file to see if Gnus really deleted
all traces of this group from the .newsrc.eld file.  In particular, no
article number information should remain.

I think it would also be good to quit Gnus after `G DEL', then restart
it.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: nnimap UIDVALIDITY problem on exchange server
@ 2000-06-20 13:13   ` Chris D.Halverson
From: Chris D.Halverson @ 2000-06-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1218 bytes --]

> Your idea of `G DEL'-ing the group was a good one.  Maybe the group
> wasn't really deleted?  I think it is important to say `s' to save the
> .newsrc.eld file, then check the file to see if Gnus really deleted
> all traces of this group from the .newsrc.eld file.  In particular, no
> article number information should remain.

I had this happen once too (not w/ Exchange, UW IMAP for some
reason). There was a thread on this list about it. Another thing to
remember is to remove ~/News/overview/nnimap.mail.INBOX.novcache. That
hosed me up for a while. Here's my step by step actions:

 1. I C-k the group

 2. Examined ~/.newsrc.eld to ensure it wasn't there

 3. Removed the overview cache file

 4. Started Gnus and did a "G m" to remake the group and everything
 worked.

 Earlier I had done a "A A" and re-subscribed to it. Evidently this is
 different than "G m" the group as the "A A" try seemed to pull out old
 values for somewhere.

Hope that helps.

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/

* Re: nnimap UIDVALIDITY problem on exchange server
@ 2000-06-20 14:09     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-06-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I had this happen once too (not w/ Exchange, UW IMAP for some
> reason). There was a thread on this list about it. Another thing to
> remember is to remove ~/News/overview/nnimap.mail.INBOX.novcache. That
> hosed me up for a while.

Thanx Chris!  I tried deleting the group and restarting Gnus three
times without finding the new articles.  When I deleted the novcache
file I finally succeeded.

And I didn't even lose the old read marks. :-)

> Here's my step by step actions:
[snip!]

Hm... maybe this procedure should end up as a FAQ entry?

* Re: nnimap UIDVALIDITY problem on exchange server
@ 2000-06-20 14:23     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Chris D.Halverson" <cdh@CompleteIS.com> writes:

> [...] Another thing to remember is to remove
> ~/News/overview/nnimap.mail.INBOX.novcache. [..]

Right.  Very important.

IMVHO, deleting an nnimap group should delete the nov cache, too.
Simon, do you think this is doable?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: nnimap UIDVALIDITY problem on exchange server
@ 2000-06-20 15:18       ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-06-20 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar> Steinar Bang <URL:mailto:sb@metis.no>

0> In article <whn1kg78br.fsf@viffer.computas.no>,
0> Steinar wrote:

Steinar> I tried deleting the group and restarting Gnus three times
Steinar> without finding the new articles.  When I deleted the novcache
Steinar> file I finally succeeded.
Steinar>
Steinar> And I didn't even lose the old read marks. :-)
Steinar>
Steinar> [snip!]
Steinar>
Steinar> Hm... maybe this procedure should end up as a FAQ entry?

Maybe nnimap could ask whether the novcache etc should be discarded,
when it finds the UIDVALIDITY is wrong?