* `name' parameter for MIME attachments?
@ 1999-09-07 11:30 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-07 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juergen Freitag, Christian Altenschmidt, biskup

When doing a MIME attachment with Gnus, the following MIME headers are
generated:

When doing a MIME attachment with the Solaris CDE tool dtmail, the
following header is generated:

Apparently, dtmail uses this `name' parameter as a default file name
to save in.

WIBNI Gnus would generate this parameter automatically?  I suggest that
the default value be the basename of the file.  I'm not sure whether
the parameter should just be generated silently or whether the user
should be asked for its value, defaulting to the basename of the
`filename' parameter.

(I know that it works to add a "name=foo.ps" part to the MML that is
generated by C-c C-a.  But I think that it would be nice if one didn't
have to do this manually.)

tia,
kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: `name' parameter for MIME attachments?
@ 1999-09-07 11:46 ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 1999-09-07 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

0> In article <vaf671n9cwu.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>, Kai wrote:

Kai> When doing a MIME attachment with the Solaris CDE tool dtmail,
Kai> the following header is generated:

Kai> Apparently, dtmail uses this `name' parameter as a default file
Kai> name to save in.
Kai>
Kai> WIBNI Gnus would generate this parameter automatically?

"name" isn't a valid parameter for application/postscript.  Generating
invalid MIME is not something I want Gnus to be doing.  Why not fix
dtmail instead?

* Re: `name' parameter for MIME attachments?
@ 1999-09-07 11:56   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-07 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juergen Freitag, Christian Altenschmidt, Joachim Biskup

Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> "name" isn't a valid parameter for application/postscript.  Generating
> invalid MIME is not something I want Gnus to be doing.  Why not fix
> dtmail instead?

Oops, I didn't know that.  Hm.  Surely we don't want Gnus to produce
invalid MIME.

kai
--

@ 1999-09-25  8:31   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> "name" isn't a valid parameter for application/postscript.

Well, RFC2046 says that the "name" parameter is commonly used in the
Content-Type header, so I don't think it's invalid.  However, it says
that it is deprecated in favour of the Content-Disposition header, so
I think that Gnus does the right thing.