* Still not working: message count not updating when using imap
@ 2000-07-02  4:13 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-02  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using a fairly recent CVS version of gnus under XEmacs 21.9.

I'm still experiencing a very long-standing problem, and I thought I'd
try again to see if someone here might know of a fix:

I have one imap group within my gnus configuration.  The rest are
standard email and nntp groups which work perfectly.  For this
imap group, the message count never updates when I enter the `g'
command in the Group buffer.  There are only two cases where the
message count gets properly calculated for this imap group:

(1)  When I first enter gnus.

(2)  If I specifically enter the summary buffer for this imap group
     and then type `g' from within the summary buffer.

My setup for this imap group is quite vanilla, and everything else
about this group is fine: everything else works great.

Has anyone seen this behavior with imap groups under gnus?  If so, do
you know of a fix or a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Still not working: message count not updating when using imap
@ 2000-07-02 10:19 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-07-02 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Is the level of the IMAP groups different than the level of the other
groups?

Is the nnimap server foreign?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Problem solved! (was: Still not working: message count not updating when using imap)
@ 2000-07-04  2:46 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-04  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> [ ... ] There are only two cases where the
> message count gets properly calculated for this imap group:
>
> (1)  When I first enter gnus.
>
> (2)  If I specifically enter the summary buffer for this imap group
>      and then type `g' from within the summary buffer.

Well, *finally* after many months, I solved this problem.  It turns
out that when `nnimap-nov-is-evil' is not set, commands such as
`gnus-group-get-new-news' look at the cached overview file to
calculate the article count in `nnimap' groups, instead of causing a
query the IMAP server directly.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or a
feature, but in either case, setting `nnimap-nov-is-evil' to `t'
causes my article counts to get properly updated in my `nnimap' group,
just the way I like.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to help me with this.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Problem solved! (was: Still not working: message count not updating when using imap)
@ 2000-07-04  9:33   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-07-04  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Well, *finally* after many months, I solved this problem.  It turns
> out that when `nnimap-nov-is-evil' is not set, commands such as
> `gnus-group-get-new-news' look at the cached overview file to
> calculate the article count in `nnimap' groups, instead of causing a
> query the IMAP server directly.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or a
> feature, but in either case, setting `nnimap-nov-is-evil' to `t'
> causes my article counts to get properly updated in my `nnimap' group,
> just the way I like.

This is weird, `gnus-group-get-new-news' (or whatever it calls)
shouldn't look at the overview file at all.  Fetching overview files
is quite slow, so it shouldn't be done when looking for new mail.

`nnimap-nov-is-evil' is only used by `nnimap-retrieve-headers', but it
isn't called at all when I fetch new mail.  Is it called for you?
Could you debug-on-entry this function and mail me the backtrace?

It's a bug.