From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: bugs@gnus.org (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys), ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Two gnus-posting-styles problems
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 21:45:10 +0200	[thread overview]

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@xemacs.org> writes:

> 1. It's unclear exactly what a HEADER match in fact matches.

Somewhere in the docs it says that it matches the _original_ message
(the one you are replying to).  Maybe it should say that louder.

> 1a. Even worse, it uses the "gnus article copy" buffer even when it is
>     completely unrelated to the message currently being composed.  For
>     example, I pressed `a' or `m' in the Summary buffer and was trying
>     to figure out why the hell it thought that the Red Hat address
>     should be used.  It turned out that my old "gnus article copy"
>     buffer happened addressed to a Red Hat person.

This seems to be bad.  Hm.  It should look for whether the current
message is a reply/followup, and refrain from header matches if not.

> 2. I tried to fix #1 by explicitly matching the stuff from the Message
>    buffer, like this:
>
>      ((and (message-fetch-field "to")
>            (string-match "redhat\\.com" (message-fetch-field "to")))
>       (address "hniksic@redhat.com"))
>
>    But that didn't work because `gnus-configure-posting-styles' is
>    called from `message-mode-hook', which gets run when the Message
>    buffer is still completely empty.  It should be called at a later
>    stage, when the buffer has already been set up.

Hm.  This is a known problem.  Hm.  Hmmmm...  I think it can't be
called when the message buffer is set up, for then the From header has
been inserted already (if message-generate-headers-first is set).  Or
maybe there are other problems with changing headers in that case?
Hm.

Holger Schauer's header-action.el takes action when the message is
sent.  gnus-pers does something similar I think.

But on the whole, I think a lot of people are trying to use posting
styles the way you are using them, so maybe these people's wishes
should be accomodated.

kai
--
Silence is foo!