* Gnus group buffer colors for nnimap and nnml
@ 2001-07-22  9:09 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-22  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that nnimap groups should get the same (reddish) colors as
nnml groups in the Group buffer.

Right now, nnimap groups get the same (greenish-blackish) colors as
nntp groups.

Opinions?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Gnus group buffer colors for nnimap and nnml
@ 2001-07-22 19:38 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-07-22 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I think that nnimap groups should get the same (reddish) colors as
> nnml groups in the Group buffer.
>
> Right now, nnimap groups get the same (greenish-blackish) colors as
> nntp groups.

This is because nnimap is a mail and news backend (e.g. it's possible to
read Usenet via IMAP), and Gnus have different colors for mail and news.
Since I think some logic depend on that property, it´s not a good
idea to change nnimap into only a mail backend to get the same colors.
You could customize the colors though...

Perhaps the difference between mail and news backends should be
abolished?  I´m travelling without my Gnus (though there are some llamas
outside the door) so I can´t check, but I remember the differences were
quit small, so they might be better solved by some less hardcoded logic.

* Re: Gnus group buffer colors for nnimap and nnml
@ 2001-07-22 20:59   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-22 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> I think that nnimap groups should get the same (reddish) colors as
>> nnml groups in the Group buffer.
>>
>> Right now, nnimap groups get the same (greenish-blackish) colors as
>> nntp groups.
>
> This is because nnimap is a mail and news backend (e.g. it's
> possible to read Usenet via IMAP), and Gnus have different colors
> for mail and news.  Since I think some logic depend on that
> property, it´s not a good idea to change nnimap into only a mail
> backend to get the same colors.  You could customize the colors
> though...

I was proposing to change the default value for gnus-group-highlight.
Right now, it first checks for (not mailp) and then assigns the
greenish-blackish colors.  Later, it assigns the reddish colors.  I
propose to reverse the order and the check, so that it first checks
for mailp and then assigns reddish colors.  Later, it should assign
the greenish-blackish colors.

For a news-only or a mail-only backend, this means no change.  But a
news-mail backend used to be treated like a news backend with the old
value and should be treated like a mail backend with the new value.

I'm guessing that most people think of nnimap as mail and therefore
expect mail-like highlighting.

Opinions?

kai
--

@ 2001-07-23  9:58 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-23  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I think that nnimap groups should get the same (reddish) colors as
> nnml groups in the Group buffer.
>
> Right now, nnimap groups get the same (greenish-blackish) colors as
> nntp groups.

I have now made the change: mail and post-mail backends get the
reddish colors, other backends get the greenish-blackish colors.

This means that nnimap groups now change color.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory