* Splitting mail over groups with different select methods
@ 1999-10-21 14:19 Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-10-21 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I split mail over groups with different select methods?

I currently use nnfolder for all my incoming mail, but want to switch (partly)
to nnml. I also use mail-splitting through

        (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

        (setq nnmail-split-fancy
             '(|
                (any "ding@gnus.org" "Mailinglists.Ding")
                "Inbox"
             )
        )

Depending on whether I get new mail using nnml or nnfolder as select method,
either both Inbox and Mailinglists.Ding are supposed to be nnfolder: or nnml:
Is there a way to mix these? It seems the nnmail-split-fancy variable does not
allow specifying the select method of a group.

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down

* Re: Splitting mail over groups with different select methods
@ 1999-10-21 16:45 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-21 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> How can I split mail over groups with different select methods?

There is no built-in functionality in Gnus for doing this.  One way to
do it is as follows:  Suppose you want to split incoming mail into the
`nnml+work' and `nnml+play' backends.  Then, you could do the
following:

  - Define the split methods to put all play mail into a special
    group, say nnml+work:play-incoming.
  - Write a function which does the following:
    . Enter group nnml+work:play-incoming
    . Temporarily set the split method to be appropriate for your play
      mail
    . Process-mark all articles
    . Call gnus-summary-respool-article on all articles, passing nil
      as the number of articles and the right select method as METHOD.
  - Call that function.

I think this would work.  It is a little inconvenient, though.
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.