* bug report: [Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl>] patch to abc2ly
@ 1999-08-27 13:12 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-08-27 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just sent a patch to another mailing list, via the "Attach file as
mime" menu item in xemacs, pgnus 0.95.  The maintainer is getting a
mime error.

Attached are his message with all his headers and the message I
sent (also attached via the menu).

I used the default application/octet-stream; would it have helped if I
had used something more specific? (It was a .gz file.)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1822 bytes --]

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl>
To: Laura Conrad <lconrad@world.std.com>
Subject: patch to abc2ly
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:46:05 +0200 (CEST)

lconrad@world.std.com writes:
> Attached is a patch, with a couple of quick fixes that make abc2ly
> more useful to me:

I get

  MIME error: "something other than line break or hex digits after = in quoted-printable encoding"

Can you send it in plaintext?

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys, hanwen@cs.uu.nl ** GNU LilyPond - The Music Typesetter
      http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/index.html

[-- Attachment #3: message including error-producing MIME --]

Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

* Re: bug report: [Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl>] patch to abc2ly
@ 1999-08-27 19:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-27 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laura Conrad <lconrad@world.std.com> writes:

> [...]=D0=AB=D6=BFf!
> !
> 	(\x7f=E9=0B=00=00

The two `!' and the line breaks seem to be the problem.  Apparently, you
have sent as quoted-printable a line which was too long for the
underlying software to handle, so it inserted the `!' and maybe also
the `(^?'.

Ick.

Shouldn't Gnus use continuation lines for this kind of thing?  Maybe
the line length calculation is wrong and uses the original line length
(1 char per non-ASCII char) rather than the encoded line length (3
chars per non-ASCII char).

Hm.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: bug report: [Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl>] patch to abc2ly
@ 1999-09-25  6:34   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The two `!' and the line breaks seem to be the problem.  Apparently, you
> have sent as quoted-printable a line which was too long for the
> underlying software to handle, so it inserted the `!' and maybe also
>
> Ick.
>
> Shouldn't Gnus use continuation lines for this kind of thing?  Maybe
> the line length calculation is wrong and uses the original line length
> (1 char per non-ASCII char) rather than the encoded line length (3
> chars per non-ASCII char).

Yup.  Shenghuo's patches for 0.97 fixes this, though.