* about SOUP
@ 1996-06-26 17:04 Juri Pakaste
From: Juri Pakaste @ 1996-06-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

<sigh> (We need those earcons :-))

I'm unable to get SOUP to work. The manual talks about using "O s" to
create SOUP packets, but O isn't bound to anything, at least in the
Group buffer when connected to a server with NNTP. I've also tried
using "G s b", which seems to work -- it creates the ~/SoupBrew
directory and *.(MSG|IDX), AREAS and gnus-prefix files there. However,
when I start Gnus with nnsoup as the primary method, I only get the
Group buffer with all the groups prefixed by asterisks.

I'm currently using Gnus 5.2.25 with XEmacs 19.14, but I've tried to
get this working with multiple versions of Gnus on both GNU Emacs and
XEmacs 19.13.

What am I doing wrong?
--
// Juri Pakaste
// jurip@icon.fi

* Re: about SOUP
@ 1996-06-26 17:43 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-06-26 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Juri> I'm unable to get SOUP to work.

Let SERVER be the machine where you get mail/news via SMTP/NNTP or
something.  Let CLIENT be the machine where you want to read the
souped stuff.

On SERVER, brew a soup.
On SERVER, pack a soup packet.
Transfer the resulting ~/Soupout*.tgz file from SERVER to CLIENT.
On CLIENT, read mail/news with the nnsoup backend.
On CLIENT, read messages, maybe reply to them. (*)
On CLIENT, pack a reply packet.
Transfer the resulting ~/Soupin*.tgz file from CLIENT to SERVER.
On SERVER, send the reply packet.

Brewing soups, packing packets, packing reply packets and sending
reply packets are all functions bound to `G s <some letter>'.  Type `G
s C-h' to get a list of them.  The function names will tell what they
do.

(*) For replying via Soup as I have shown, you need to set the
message-send-mail-function and/or message-send-news-function
variables.  Call nnsoup-set-variables to set both, or see the `SOUP
Replies' node in the Gnus info file for more details.

hth,
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: about SOUP
@ 1996-06-30 15:09   ` Juri Pakaste
From: Juri Pakaste @ 1996-06-30 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juri Pakaste, ding

 Juri> I'm unable to get SOUP to work.

 KG> On SERVER, brew a soup.
 KG> On SERVER, pack a soup packet.

Ah, thanks. Not packing it was the problem, now things seem to work
fine.

--
// Juri Pakaste
// jurip@icon.fi