From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: "From " -> ">From " in imap mail-source avoidable?
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:10:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Josh Huber <huber+dated+1027863384.faf1e4@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> But I don't understand why it would be a problem to write maildir
>> format, instead, if nnmail-process-maildir-mail-format groks that.
>
> Actually, what I don't get is why when you're using a maildir
> mail-source Gnus bothers to copy it to another spool file at all.
> Couldn't Gnus read the messages from the Maildir directly?  (doesn't
> need to be locked, etc)

Well, Gnus also comes with nnmaildir, which does what you want.  So
the user has the choice.

Maybe some users want to store messages in nnfolder but the MTA
delivers to a maildir.

>> Well, if you have the choice between replacing "From" lines with
>> ">From" lines in the message body (now) or adding a Lines or
>> Content-length header (my suggestion) -- what's worse?
>
> Agreed, but I think in the case of Maildir, we don't even need an
> intermediate storage, right?

Yes and no.  mail-sources always needs an intermediate storage: it
copies the messages from the spots specified in mail-sources to temp
files, then from there into the groups.  This avoids problems with
locking.  As mail-sources works for many types of sources, it uses
the same mechanism always, to avoid the locking problems.

kai