From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: address lists?
Date: 24 Oct 1999 01:19:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> Is there a way either in gnus or bbdb to send mail to a small list of
> addresses?

You can use `* m' to send a message to all the people displayed in the
BBDB buffer.  Adding a common notes entry to the people from your
study group is a convenient way to be able to display just those
people.

There's also a way to do it with the .mailrc file.  Gnus automatically
expands aliases from the .mailrc file if you hit SPC or TAB after
entering an alias into the To or Cc header.

> I'd like to send mail to the 4 or 5 members of a study group using
> one address.

That's a different question altogether and requires root access on
your machine.

You could, however, fake it like this:

    To: (my study group)
    Bcc: john, paul, judy

This way, the To header just contains a comment, and the Bcc header
will not be sent.  Hence, the recipients just see the To header.  This
would be straight forward to do with the .mailrc approach, and would
require some manual editing of the headers using the BBDB approach.
(But the editing involved could surely be automated with a kbd macro
or the like.)

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.