* Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-08 22:00 Jens Lautenbacher
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-06-08 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just abandoned vm and switched over to gnus (5.2.12) to read my mail.
So far I've come up with the following setup:

       (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
	     '((nnfolder "private")))
       (setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)

       (setq nnmail-split-methods
	     '(("XEmacs_Beta"  "^To:.*xemacs-beta")
	       ("XEmacs_Beta"  "^Cc:.*xemacs-beta")
	       ("ding_gnus"    "^To:.*ding@")
	       ("ding_gnus"    "^Cc:.*ding@")
		[...]
	       ("Stefan_D"     "^From:.*stefan@")
	       ("JTL"          "^From:.*jtl")
	       ("Misc"         "")))

Now some problems remain:
a) Is there any reason why nnfolder can not display old articles in
   threads the same way as in my newsgroups? There is never any old
   article displayed.

b) I would like to have all replies, followups or postings in my mail
   groups be saved to the group I'm posting or replying from. E.g. if
   I post an article (or reply) to jtl@tkm.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de,
   this message should be stuffed into the "nnfolder+private:JTL"
   group. Is there any reasonable way to achieve this? Mails out of
   the "Misc" groups and newspostings should of course still be
   stuffed into "nnfolder+archive: misc-mail" or "...misc-news"

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-08 22:35 ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-06-08 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

[...]
> b) I would like to have all replies, followups or postings in my mail
>    groups be saved to the group I'm posting or replying from. E.g. if
>    I post an article (or reply) to jtl@tkm.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de,
>    this message should be stuffed into the "nnfolder+private:JTL"
>    group. Is there any reasonable way to achieve this? Mails out of
>    the "Misc" groups and newspostings should of course still be
>    stuffed into "nnfolder+archive: misc-mail" or "...misc-news"

Just one thing I forgot: There should be also a possibility to some
mails _not_ saved (e.g. out of the ding mailinglist. I'll get them
anyway through the list, no need to save them at my side.)

Cheers,
	Jens

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-09  4:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-09  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Now some problems remain:
> a) Is there any reason why nnfolder can not display old articles in
>    threads the same way as in my newsgroups? There is never any old
>    article displayed.

Is this with `gnus-fetch-old-headers'?  nnfolder doesn't have NOV
files, so supporting that would mean lots of work.  And be somewhat
slow.

> b) I would like to have all replies, followups or postings in my mail
>    groups be saved to the group I'm posting or replying from. E.g. if
>    I post an article (or reply) to jtl@tkm.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de,
>    this message should be stuffed into the "nnfolder+private:JTL"
>    group. Is there any reasonable way to achieve this? Mails out of
>    the "Misc" groups and newspostings should of course still be
>    stuffed into "nnfolder+archive: misc-mail" or "...misc-news"

Just write a nice `gnus-message-archive-group'.  Perhaps something
like:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
  '((cond ((message-news-p) "misc-news")
          (t (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name)))))

Embellish to suit your needs.

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-09 21:37 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-06-09 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Jens> b) I would like to have all replies, followups or postings in
  Jens>    my mail groups be saved to the group I'm posting or
  Jens>    replying from. E.g. if I post an article (or reply) to
  Jens>    jtl@tkm.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de, this message should be
  Jens>    stuffed into the "nnfolder+private:JTL" group. Is there any
  Jens>    reasonable way to achieve this? Mails out of the "Misc"
  Jens>    groups and newspostings should of course still be stuffed
  Jens>    into "nnfolder+archive: misc-mail" or "...misc-news"

I use the following setup.

,-----
| (defun kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group ()
|   (cond ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
|               (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
|               (string-match "^nnml" gnus-newsgroup-name))
|          gnus-newsgroup-name)
|         (t "nnml:mail.misc")))
| (setq gnus-outgoing-message-group 'kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
`-----

You probably want to twiddle the method and the default group name, I
think.

I also have a nifty (but poorly implemented) function

(defun message-toggle-gcc ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (let ((pmin (progn (beginning-of-buffer) (point)))
            (pmax (progn
                    (beginning-of-buffer)
                    (re-search-forward (concat "^" mail-header-separator
                                               "$"))
                    (beginning-of-line)
                    (point))))
        (beginning-of-buffer)
        (narrow-to-region pmin pmax)
        (if (re-search-forward "^gcc: .*" nil t)
            (progn
              (beginning-of-line)
              (kill-line 1))
          (goto-char pmax)
          (insert (concat "Gcc: "
                          (kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
                          "\n")))))))

If I bind this to a key, something useful happens: If the Gcc header
is already in there, it will be deleted, if it isn't, a Gcc header
will be created that contains the `right' group name.

Suggestions for a cleaner implementation gladly accepted :-)

Whatcha think?
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-11 10:02   ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-06-11 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Just write a nice `gnus-message-archive-group'.  Perhaps something
> like:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>   '((cond ((message-news-p) "misc-news")
>           (t (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name)))))
>
> Embellish to suit your needs.

This would not work if pressing m outside of a group. Maybe better lie
this:

 (setq gnus-message-archive-group
	     '((cond ((message-news-p) "misc-news")
		     (gnus-newsgroup-name
		      (gnus-group-real-name gnus-newsgroup-name))
		     (t "misc-mail"))))

But this (and your suggestion) have the drawback that they don't work
except for "nnfolder+archive" Groups. I have the archive server as it
is the default: "Real" news  go into nnfolder+archive:misc-news, Mail
goes to nnfolder+archive:mic-mail.

But I also have groups like nnfolder+private:JTL. Mails send in this
groups should be Gcc'ed there. So your suggestion gives me a header
like: nnfolder+archive:JTL
               ^^^^^^^

How to change this? I would like to try to expand the group parameters
that they would recognice something like gcc-self. if this parameter
is not present or nil, the normal way of archive saving should
happen. But if it is 'self, the Gcc header should point to the group,
and if it is 'none, the Gcc header should not pop up (Nice on
Mailinglists)

If one could easy define locally other servers than "archive" this
would be easy. The function above would simply check for the parameter
gcc-self and react accordingly. But how to change archive to private
inside this function?

Cheers,
	Jens

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-11 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> But this (and your suggestion) have the drawback that they don't work
> except for "nnfolder+archive" Groups. I have the archive server as it
> is the default: "Real" news  go into nnfolder+archive:misc-news, Mail
> goes to nnfolder+archive:mic-mail.

Well, I assumed that one would set the archive server to the same
server as the mail server.

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-12  8:13       ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-06-12  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>
> > But this (and your suggestion) have the drawback that they don't work
> > except for "nnfolder+archive" Groups. I have the archive server as it
> > is the default: "Real" news  go into nnfolder+archive:misc-news, Mail
> > goes to nnfolder+archive:mic-mail.
>
> Well, I assumed that one would set the archive server to the same
> server as the mail server.

Maybe, but the default values for the archive group are
(nnfolder-get-new-mail nil) (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry nil) which is
maybe what I want for a real archive but maybe not on my
mailinglist's groups or the groups my friend's mails are stored in.

So I would prefer to have the possibility to use different servers

Jens

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> So I would prefer to have the possibility to use different servers

How about if the group returned by `gnus-message-archive-group'
contains a ":" then the archive server isn't prefixed to the name?

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-13  7:43           ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1996-06-13  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: 13 Jun 1996 09:43:26 +0200

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>
> > So I would prefer to have the possibility to use different servers
>
> How about if the group returned by `gnus-message-archive-group'
> contains a ":" then the archive server isn't prefixed to the name?

Is this a suggestion or already a feature? I think it could help a
lot.

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-13 20:15             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-13 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Is this a suggestion or already a feature? I think it could help a
> lot.

It's already a feature.

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-14  0:41               ` Firebeard
From: Firebeard @ 1996-06-14  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

LMI> Jens Lautenbacher <jens@lemcbed.lem.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>> Is this a suggestion or already a feature? I think it could help a
>> lot.

LMI> It's already a feature.

	In what version?  In 5.2.1, I ended up with GCC:
nnml:nnml:tivoli.support when the archive group was set to nnml:tivoli.support.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>                               /* Sten Drescher */
ObCDABait:      For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the

* Re: Probs with mailreading.
@ 1996-06-14  1:37                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-14  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Firebeard <stend@grendel.austin.texas.net> writes: