* "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-11 19:37 William Goedicke
From: William Goedicke @ 2002-07-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Y'all -

I'm having a problem where one of the dozen or so folders I split my
mail into won't display already read messages.  New messages split
into that folder show up fine, are readable and are written to the
filesystem.  But attempting to access the folder when there are no
unread messages fails with the message "no unread news".

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is wrong and how I can get
the folder working again?

--

     Yours -      Billy

     William Goedicke     goedicke@world.std.com
                          http://world.std.com/~goedicke

          Lest we forget:

Computing axiom #4

	When it breaks once; ignore it.  When it breaks twice; worry.
	When it breaks the third time; fix it.

		- William Goedicke

* Re: "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-11 19:44 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-07-11 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

William Goedicke <goedicke@world.std.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem where one of the dozen or so folders I split my
> mail into won't display already read messages.  New messages split
> into that folder show up fine, are readable and are written to the
> filesystem.  But attempting to access the folder when there are no
> unread messages fails with the message "no unread news".

What happens when you try to enter the group with C-u RET?  Which
backend is this?

paul

* Re: "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-11 20:32   ` William Goedicke
From: William Goedicke @ 2002-07-11 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Paul -

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> William Goedicke <goedicke@world.std.com> wrote:

> > attempting to access the folder when there are no unread messages
> > fails with the message "no unread news".
>
> What happens when you try to enter the group with C-u RET?

I get the message "no unread news" in the mini-buffer.

> Which backend is this?

nnml

--

     Yours -      Billy

     William Goedicke     goedicke@world.std.com
                          http://world.std.com/~goedicke

          Lest we forget:

In a hundred years Richard Stallman's open software development model
will be likened to Henry Ford's assembly line as one of history's
greatest contributions to productivity.

		- William Goedicke

* Re: "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-12 16:08 ` William Goedicke
From: William Goedicke @ 2002-07-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Y'all -

I <goedicke@world.std.com> wrote:

> I'm having a problem where one of the dozen or so folders I split my
> mail into won't display already read messages.  New messages split
> into that folder show up fine, are readable and are written to the
> filesystem.  But attempting to access the folder when there are no
> unread messages fails with the message "no unread news".

I am able to see the messages with C-u 4 0 M-ret.  They are marked as
"O" but color-coded (beige) instead of like the other groups (aqua).
Once in I can change the status of any of the messages to whatever I
want, but once I quit the group all settings are lost and I'm back to
"no unread news".  This is a real problem for me since the folder is
where I get mail direct to me, but not otherwise split.

The backend is nnml.

--

     Yours -      Billy

     William Goedicke     goedicke@world.std.com
                          http://world.std.com/~goedicke

          Lest we forget:

Never dry the dishes; it's the only thing God is good for.

	- Pauline Goedicke

* Re: "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-12 16:34   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-12 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Do you have a ".marks" file in that group?  Try to quit Gnus, delete
the file, enter Gnus again.  Does this help?

Actually, of course, you should just rename the file, not delete it!

kai

* Re: "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-12 17:23     ` William Goedicke
From: William Goedicke @ 2002-07-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dear Kai -

> Do you have a ".marks" file in that group?

I don't, but you sent me in the right direction.  There was a hidden
file in the directory called .overview mving it did the trick.

--

     Yours -      Billy

     William Goedicke     goedicke@world.std.com
                          http://world.std.com/~goedicke

          Lest we forget:

The Computer Professional's Credo: "First do no harm."

		- William Goedicke

* Re: "no unread news"
@ 2002-07-13 10:21       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-13 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

William Goedicke <goedicke@world.std.com> writes:

> I don't, but you sent me in the right direction.  There was a hidden
> file in the directory called .overview mving it did the trick.

You can regenerate that file by doing M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases
RET or M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 RET.  (The former does it
for all nnml groups, the latter for one group/directory only.)

Or you can hit `g' or `M-g' on the server in the server buffer, I
believe.

You should do this before lunch :-)

kai