* Question about nnfolder-directory and nnml-directory
@ 2001-08-02 14:01 Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-08-02 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the role of nnfolder-directory and
nnml-directory. I have, in my .gnus

(setq nnfolder-directory "~/mail"
      nnml-directory "~/Mail")

When I start Gnus, and I try C-h v nnfolder-directory, I get the
answer "~/Mail/archive". Once I enter a group and try the same query,
indeed I do get back "~/mail" as intended. If I quit Gnus and make the
query, I get nil back. Everything works fine. I am interested in
understanding how one can check for the user's value of
nnfolder-directory. Why don't I get "~/mail" back each time I query
for nnfolder-directory?

The same goes for nnml-directory. It starts out as
"~/News/nntp+News.CIS.DFN.DE" and gets magically set to "~/Mail".

I am Lisp novice. I read a little bit of the Lisp reference that comes
with XEmacs. From what I figured out, any defvar should only alter the
value of nnfolder-directory if it is not bound already.

Thanks in advance.
--
Nevin

* Re: Question about nnfolder-directory and nnml-directory
@ 2001-08-02 15:07 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001, Nevin Kapur wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out the role of nnfolder-directory and
> nnml-directory. I have, in my .gnus
>
> (setq nnfolder-directory "~/mail"
>       nnml-directory "~/Mail")

Don't do that.  These values are specific for each server.  Set them
as server parameters:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnfolder "foo" (nnfolder-directory "~/mail/")))

See?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Question about nnfolder-directory and nnml-directory
@ 2001-08-02 15:38   ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-08-02 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Thu, 02 Aug 2001, Nevin Kapur wrote:
>
>> (setq nnfolder-directory "~/mail"
>>       nnml-directory "~/Mail")
>
> Don't do that.  These values are specific for each server.  Set them
> as server parameters:
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>              '(nnfolder "foo" (nnfolder-directory "~/mail/")))
>
> See?

It all makes sense now. Thanks for the enlightenment.

--
Nevin