* Not including the signatures in replies
@ 1999-03-17 13:19 Akim Demaille
From: Akim Demaille @ 1999-03-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to stress that I really enjoy Gnus.  Thanks for
it, it's really precious :)

I would like to express a wish: a mean to avoid that signatures aren't
inserted in a reply (that of the person I'm replying to).  I always
have to remove them, and since gnus knows where they are, I think it
would be very helpy that it strips it off before letting me compose my
answer.

I'm sorry I don't know elisp, so I can't go further than just being a
never-satisfied-f*g-user ;)

Thanks!

        Akim

--
P-mail: Akim Demaille, 107 rue Bobillot, F-75013 Paris, France
E-mail: demaille@inf.enst.fr

* Re: Not including the signatures in replies
@ 1999-03-17 13:43 ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1999-03-17 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr> writes:

> I would like to express a wish: a mean to avoid that signatures aren't
> inserted in a reply (that of the person I'm replying to).  I always
> have to remove them, and since gnus knows where they are, I think it
> would be very helpy that it strips it off before letting me compose my
> answer.

Hi,

put

(setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)

into your .gnus.el file

Norbert.

* Re: Not including the signatures in replies
@ 1999-03-17 13:53   ` Akim Demaille
From: Akim Demaille @ 1999-03-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <n.koch@delta-ii.de> writes:

> put
>
> (setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)
>
> into your .gnus.el file

Ooops.  Sorry not to have found it myself.  Thanks!

Akim

--

@ 1999-03-17 13:58   ` Akim Demaille
From: Akim Demaille @ 1999-03-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <n.koch@delta-ii.de> writes:

> (setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)

Actually it's in Supercite I'd like to have a
sc-message-cite-original-without-signature.

Akim

--

@ 1999-03-17 14:18     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 1999-03-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Akim Demaille writes:

Akim> Actually it's in Supercite I'd like to have a
Akim> sc-message-cite-original-without-signature.

        Given the stuff that sc-cite-original requires, I think that
`message-cite-original-without-signature' should also run the
`mail-citation-hook' hooks. Also, I'm wondering if it's really a good thing to
have sc-cite-original as a custom choice for `message-cite-function'. It sort
of breaks the semantics it is supposed to have. First, you cite the original
in a somewhat raw manner (like removing the signature) which I consider a job
for gnus, and then, you postprocess the citation to perform more clever stuff.

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /      E.N.S.T. INF C201.1      mailto:verna@inf.enst.fr

* Re: Not including the signatures in replies
@ 1999-03-17 15:08       ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-17 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <verna@inf.enst.fr> writes:

  > [...] First, you cite the original in a somewhat raw manner (like
  > removing the signature) which I consider a job for gnus, and then,
  > you postprocess the citation to perform more clever stuff.

I think both Lars and Barry have said that this distinction should not
be made, i.e. removing the signature is a job for SC.

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: Not including the signatures in replies
@ 1999-03-17 16:51     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-03-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr> writes:

> Norbert Koch <n.koch@delta-ii.de> writes:

> > put
> >
> > (setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)
> >
> > into your .gnus.el file

> Ooops.  Sorry not to have found it myself.  Thanks!

Don't be sorry.  If you found it yourself, you would not have asked the
question, and then, the reply would not have let me discover that nice
capability.  Thanks to askers and repliers! :-)

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Re: Not including the signatures in replies
@ 1999-03-18 21:12     ` Christopher K Davis
From: Christopher K Davis @ 1999-03-18 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr> writes:

> Norbert Koch <n.koch@delta-ii.de> writes:
>> (setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)

> Actually it's in Supercite I'd like to have a
> sc-message-cite-original-without-signature.

(defun ckd-delete-signature ()
  "Delete signature from reply buffer.
Shamelessly stolen from message-cite-original-without-signature."
  (let ((start (point))
	(end (mark t)))
    (goto-char end)
    (when (re-search-backward "^-- $" start t)
      ;; Also peel off any blank lines before the signature.
      (forward-line -1)
      (while (looking-at "^[ \t]*$")
        (forward-line -1))
      (forward-line 1)
      (delete-region (point) end))
    (goto-char start)))
(add-hook 'sc-pre-hook 'ckd-delete-signature)

--
Christopher Davis * <ckd-sig@ckdhr.com> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>