* How to switch backends during filtering ?
@ 1997-04-03 14:47 Jost Krieger
From: Jost Krieger @ 1997-04-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I usually use nnml to keep my mail cleanly sorted.  Unfortunately, a
few of the mails contain html, and w3 in combination with Emacs 19.34
is not quite up to the task. So, I have to read those with *shudder*
Netscape. This makes it necessary to put them in some kind of nnfolder
or such. Can I do this inside Gnus ? Right now I either have to do it
in mailagent, before Gnus gets at them, or later on with B m .

Jost

Jost Krieger, Postmaster, Rechenzentrum der Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Jost.Krieger@rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

* Re: How to switch backends during filtering ?
@ 1997-04-03 15:02 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-04-03 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Jost> I usually use nnml to keep my mail cleanly sorted.
  Jost> Unfortunately, a few of the mails contain html, and w3 in
  Jost> combination with Emacs 19.34 is not quite up to the task. So,
  Jost> I have to read those with *shudder* Netscape.

Huh?

(1) You could tell your friendly MIME processing thingy (probably tm
    or rmime.el) to start netscape for HTML messages, couldn't you?

    The following .mailcap entry comes in handy here:
      text/html; netscape -remote "openURL(file:%s,new-window)"

(2) Some of your mail groups can be nnml groups and some can be
    nnfolder, and you can use gnus-split-methods to put some messages
    in nnml groups and some in nnfolder groups.  Or you can use "B m".

I like (1).

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: How to switch backends during filtering ?
@ 1997-04-03 15:17   ` Jost Krieger
From: Jost Krieger @ 1997-04-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jost Krieger, ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Jost> I usually use nnml to keep my mail cleanly sorted.
>   Jost> Unfortunately, a few of the mails contain html, and w3 in
>   Jost> combination with Emacs 19.34 is not quite up to the task. So,
>   Jost> I have to read those with *shudder* Netscape.
>
> Huh?
>
> (1) You could tell your friendly MIME processing thingy (probably tm
>     or rmime.el) to start netscape for HTML messages, couldn't you?
>
>     The following .mailcap entry comes in handy here:
>       text/html; netscape -remote "openURL(file:%s,new-window)"
>
> (2) Some of your mail groups can be nnml groups and some can be
>     nnfolder, and you can use gnus-split-methods to put some messages
>     in nnml groups and some in nnfolder groups.  Or you can use "B m".
>
> I like (1).

But you can't always do what you like :-)
I can't imagine you want to here this, but:

My emacs runs on a central host because of the bloated BBDB database.

My netscape runs on the local host because of X timing problems using ssh.

tm writes the html file to /tmp/something and fires up netscape who
tells his colleague to go and find the file which isn't there on the
other machine.

So I revert to (2) and talking about Gnus.

What I would like to know is how to split incoming things to different backends
(with fancy splitting). I just cannot get it to work.

"B m" works, but that's what I would like to avoid.

@ 1997-04-03 15:52     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-04-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Grossjohann, ding

  Jost> tm writes the html file to /tmp/something and fires up
  Jost> netscape who tells his colleague to go and find the file which
  Jost> isn't there on the other machine.

Wrong.  tm writes the html file to $TM_TMP_DIR which defaults to
/tmp.  Does this help?

kai
--

@ 1997-04-03 16:30       ` Jost Krieger
From: Jost Krieger @ 1997-04-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jost Krieger, ding

>   Jost> tm writes the html file to /tmp/something and fires up
>   Jost> netscape who tells his colleague to go and find the file which
>   Jost> isn't there on the other machine.
>
> Wrong.  tm writes the html file to $TM_TMP_DIR which defaults to
> /tmp.  Does this help?

Thanks, that finally did it.
I once was that far. What I missed is that it is no help fiddling with
"mime/tmp-dir", because the external method uses the environment
variable. Now I just have to disable the trap to kill the file, because the
procedure finishes before the asynchronous Netscape gets at the file.
I can live with that.

@ 1997-04-03 17:40         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-04-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Grossjohann, ding

  Jost> Thanks, that finally did it.  I once was that far. What I
  Jost> missed is that it is no help fiddling with "mime/tmp-dir",
  Jost> because the external method uses the environment variable.

Things like that originally caused me to search for another solution.
Anybody mention obfuscated here?  I stumbled across rmime.el which is
also nice.  I think this is a good reason to try rmime.el again :-)

  Jost> Now I just have to disable the trap to kill the file, because
  Jost> the procedure finishes before the asynchronous Netscape gets
  Jost> at the file.  I can live with that.

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember trying to forget that I once put a "sleep
5" in tm-html...  *shudder*

kai