From: grossjoh@lothlorien.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Offline mail and group cooperation
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:15:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:

> Your description did not contain any problem to solve.  What is the
> problem you have with disconnected usage?  All I can think of is "If I
> move a mail from folder X to folder Y, everybody else should move that
> mail from folder X to folder Y."  Is this an accurate description of
> the problem?  Perhaps another problem is that "I want all coworkers to
> have the mails in the same folders as I do." -- but really, why do you
> want that?  So basically, before you start looking for a solution, you
> need to specify the problem.  ;)

Back when we were using mail aliases, it often happened that some
messages were sent to a specific person, but not to everybody who
would be interested.  Since we started using shared imap folders for
this, the problem disappeared because everybody automatically moves
mail regarding the foo project into the foo folder and so everybody
involved with the project knows about all messages.

So, what is the problem we want to solve?

* First of all, there is the disconnected thing.  People access mail
  from their laptop while at home, while at work, and they might want
  to read it while in the train.  So I want to slurp mails from home,
  work on them in the train on the way to work, then send my

* Secondly, there is the shared email thing.  People work together on
  a project and all email regarding the project should be seen by all
  people.

* Some of these mails are todo items.  It would be nice to have a way
  to see which items are done and which still need to be done.

Does that make things clearer?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)