* Xtra headers and nov - what order
@ 2001-08-17 15:25 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-08-17 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

How does gnus decide what order the default items in .overview appear?

When we add xtra headers like `Keywords" or something, how does gnus
decide where it will appear in the .overview  line?

If I wanted to generate a nov like file for a group not under gnus
control, and was then to subscibe to that group under an nnml server
would gnus care about the order of entries?  Or would gnus just
regenerate nov even if it  were already there?

I'm thinking of creating an nnml group that is empty unless I run a
homemade search tool that finds messages from possibly many
groups/directories in a massive archive not under gnus control and
plops those messages into the empty nnml group, generating nov as it
does so.

If I then, tell gnus to enter that nnml group will it automatically
find the new nov file and report the summary buffer accorrdingly?
Or will dinking around behind gnus back make her very angry?

* Re: Xtra headers and nov - what order
@ 2001-08-17 15:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-17 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How does gnus decide what order the default items in .overview appear?

It's defined by the standard.

> When we add xtra headers like `Keywords" or something, how does gnus
> decide where it will appear in the .overview  line?

The place for extra headers is in the last element.

> If I then, tell gnus to enter that nnml group will it automatically
> find the new nov file and report the summary buffer accorrdingly?
> Or will dinking around behind gnus back make her very angry?

Gnus doesn't care as long as nnml reports back something valid.

* Re: Xtra headers and nov - what order
@ 2001-08-17 16:22 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-17 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> When we add xtra headers like `Keywords" or something, how does gnus
> decide where it will appear in the .overview  line?

The first N fields (N=8?) are defined by the standard, all others are
"extra".

If you have the To and the Cc header in nnmail-extra-headers, then the
.overview file will contain a field "To: foo" and another field "Cc:
bar".  With this it is clear how Gnus can tell the To field from the
Cc field, even if the order is not predefined :-)

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory