* threading algorithm in Gnus
@ 2001-08-10 15:56 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-10 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know what is the threading algorithm used in Gnus?  What
is its complexity?  It seems to be pretty fast...

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: threading algorithm in Gnus
@ 2001-08-11 15:23 ` Kim Minh Kaplan
From: Kim Minh Kaplan @ 2001-08-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

> Does anybody know what is the threading algorithm used in Gnus?  What
> is its complexity?  It seems to be pretty fast...

Gnus uses uses a symbol table to build the thread tree.  It is called
`gnus-newsgroup-dependencies'.  Each article is entered in this table
through `gnus-dependencies-add-header'.  The symbol's name is the
message ID.  The symbol's value is a list (HEADER CHILD1 ...) where
HEADER is a vector as defined in "nnheader.el" and each CHILDx is the
symbol's value of each child.  This part is constant time complexity.

Then the header goes through a loop on each of its parents to break
any threading loops (these loops cause article not to be displayed).
This is an O(n) on the depth of the thread.

These are the part at the center of the threads construction.  I never
had to look at the other parts.  I suppose there are some other parts
where complexity is added.

Kim Minh.