* 'a' to post in *group* buffer should...
@ 2001-02-27 18:48 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-02-27 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

... use posting styles of the group name your sitting over.  I
frequently don't actually want to enter a group in order to post to
it, but posting styles for me are rather important (signatures, etc,
for work vs me differences) so I'd like to be able to sit above it and
still post to it.

This, of course, should be turned on or off as people see the need for
it.

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: 'a' to post in *group* buffer should...
@ 2001-02-27 18:54 ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2001-02-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that "C-u a" does what you're asking for right now. Are you
proposing that the "C-u" shouldn't be necessary? I always forget to
hit "C-u."

--
Steven E. Harris        :: seh@speakeasy.org
GnuPG                   :: 0x70248E67

* Re: 'a' to post in *group* buffer should...
@ 2001-02-28 16:17   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-02-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven> I think that "C-u a" does what you're asking for right
Steven> now. Are you proposing that the "C-u" shouldn't be necessary?
Steven> I always forget to hit "C-u."

Hmm.  Didn't know about it.

I don't know if it should be necessary or not.  Probably configurable
would be the best way to go.  I'd have it off, but I bet a lot of
people would want it on.
--

@ 2001-02-28 16:39     ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2001-02-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> I don't know if it should be necessary or not.

It seems unusual to me that the "clever" behavior is accessible only
with the prefix. That is, lots of Gnus commands work such that by
default they do the right thing, but with a prefix argument they'll
prompt you for you specific options. Requesting to post an article
ignores the group under the point by default, but can be coerced to
pay attention to the group with a prefix argument. The reverse makes
more sense to me.

Yes, I can see how having the point over a topic heading could foul
this up, but in that case perhaps Gnus should ask if you'd like to
cross-post to all the groups in the topic, or tab-complete only the
groups under the topic.

--

@ 2001-03-02 14:46       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-03-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven> Yes, I can see how having the point over a topic heading could
Steven> foul this up, but in that case perhaps Gnus should ask if
Steven> you'd like to cross-post to all the groups in the topic, or
Steven> tab-complete only the groups under the topic.

As long as we're discussing changing things once a message has begun,
I'd like something that would allow me to cycle through a list of
posting styles.  I have a key-binding configured to change my
signature to, say, my work signature if I decide it's inappropriate
for the message I'm writing but I don't have one to change my address
as well (which is also different for work).  Really, what I need is to
mark all my posting styles with a name like "work" and "play" and then
be able to hit <key-binding> to have it prompt me with "switch to?"

--

@ 2001-03-02 19:58         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-02 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steven E. Harris, ding

On 02 Mar 2001, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> As long as we're discussing changing things once a message has
> begun, I'd like something that would allow me to cycle through a
> list of posting styles.

I think gnus-pers.el does this, though I've never used it.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: 'a' to post in *group* buffer should...
@ 2001-03-05 21:38           ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2001-03-05 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steven E. Harris, ding

Kai> I think gnus-pers.el does this, though I've never used it.

Thanks for the reference...  I'll try to go find it.

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."