* edit nnimap messages
@ 2000-05-16 17:04 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-16 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really wish it was possible to edit IMAP messages.  (I'm looking for
`T ^' to be precise.)

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: edit nnimap messages
@ 2000-05-16 17:39 ` John Prevost
From: John Prevost @ 2000-05-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    kg> I really wish it was possible to edit IMAP messages.  (I'm
    kg> looking for `T ^' to be precise.)

As has been noted before, this is a protocol issue.  IMAP messages are
immutable.  Therefore, to do what you want, you'd have to remove the
old message and append a new one which would be nearly identical (but
which would have a different id on the server, different flags, etc.).

John.

* Re: edit nnimap messages
@ 2000-05-16 17:54   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-16 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

John Prevost <prevost@maya.com> writes:

> As has been noted before, this is a protocol issue.  IMAP messages are
> immutable.  Therefore, to do what you want, you'd have to remove the
> old message and append a new one which would be nearly identical (but
> which would have a different id on the server, different flags, etc.).

Yes.  One could copy the flags to the new message, though.

kai
--

@ 2000-05-19 10:49   ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 2000-05-19 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Prevost writes:

> Kai Großjohann writes:
>
> > I really wish it was possible to edit IMAP messages.  (I'm
> > looking for `T ^' to be precise.)
>
> As has been noted before, this is a protocol issue.  IMAP messages are
> immutable.  Therefore, to do what you want, you'd have to remove the
> old message and append a new one which would be nearly identical (but
> which would have a different id on the server, different flags, etc.).

On the nnimap mailing list there was some threads on how we could work
around this limitation.

One idea was to have the message deleted then added again like you
describe.

Another one by Simon Josefsson is to add a special Gnus folder to
store additional information about edited articles.

But the idea I found most interesting was:

    IMHO Gnus should not modify the mail to achieve this -- "fixing"
    articles should be at the display level.  Also, if we do this stuff at
    the display level at will be more general, ie it would work with nntp,
    nnmh etc.                          -- Simon Josefsson.

I really love this idea.  Does it appeal to people ?  I might even try
to implement such a thing...

Kim-Minh.

* Re: edit nnimap messages
@ 2000-05-19 11:25     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kim-Minh Kaplan <kmkaplan@vocatex.fr> writes:

> I really love this idea.  Does it appeal to people ?  I might even try
> to implement such a thing...

It would be difficult to implement, I think, but if implemented well,
it would be at least as good as making a new message.

So go for it!

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.