* gnus-post-method and message-expand-group
@ 1999-07-20 14:44 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have two servers which allow posting (an nntp server and an nnimap
server).  Also, I use message-x.el which allows completion on group
names in Newsgroups headers.

But the completion list is always based on the list of groups from the
primary server -- shouldn't it be based on the server mentioned in
gnus-post-method (possibly `current')?

OTOH, I _also_ use group name completion in Gcc headers, and that
should stay as-is, of course.

Ideas?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: gnus-post-method and message-expand-group
@ 1999-08-27 20:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> I have two servers which allow posting (an nntp server and an nnimap
> server).  Also, I use message-x.el which allows completion on group
> names in Newsgroups headers.
>
> But the completion list is always based on the list of groups from the
> primary server -- shouldn't it be based on the server mentioned in
> gnus-post-method (possibly `current')?
>
> OTOH, I _also_ use group name completion in Gcc headers, and that
> should stay as-is, of course.
>
> Ideas?

Well, `gnus-groups-from-server' returns a list of groups from a
particular server, and that could be used.  `current' could possibly
also be simple by just finding the server for the current group and
then doing the `gnus-groups-from-server' thing...

* Re: gnus-post-method and message-expand-group
@ 1999-08-27 20:52   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-27 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
>
> > But the completion list is always based on the list of groups from the
> > primary server -- shouldn't it be based on the server mentioned in
> > gnus-post-method (possibly `current')?
>
> Well, `gnus-groups-from-server' returns a list of groups from a
> particular server, and that could be used.  `current' could possibly
> also be simple by just finding the server for the current group and
> then doing the `gnus-groups-from-server' thing...

Well, uh, message-x just calls message-tab in Gcc and Newsgroup
headers.  Sorry about this, I forgot to mention it.  Hm.  So,
message-tab should look at the header, and if the header is Gcc,
behave as before, but if the header is Newsgroups, have a look at
gnus-post-method and use the groups from there.  Hm.  Maybe I can
produce a working patch, but I'm not sure if I'm up to it...

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: gnus-post-method and message-expand-group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, uh, message-x just calls message-tab in Gcc and Newsgroup
> headers.  Sorry about this, I forgot to mention it.  Hm.  So,
> message-tab should look at the header, and if the header is Gcc,
> behave as before, but if the header is Newsgroups, have a look at
> gnus-post-method and use the groups from there.  Hm.  Maybe I can
> produce a working patch, but I'm not sure if I'm up to it...

Well, how about if we incorporate message-x in Gnus, remove
message-expand-group and add instead an alist of abbrev expansion
thingies.  Like:

(defvar message-header-expansion-functions
   ("^\\(Newsgroups\\|Followup-To\\|Posted-To\\|Gcc\\):" message-x-expand)
   ("Some-other: " other-expanding-function))

If none of these match, then we call `tab-to-tab-stop', which will do
the abbrev abbrev expansion.

Whaddayouthink?

* Re: gnus-post-method and message-expand-group
@ 1999-08-27 21:42       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-27 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, how about if we incorporate message-x in Gnus, remove
> message-expand-group and add instead an alist of abbrev expansion
> thingies.  Like:
>
> (defvar message-header-expansion-functions
>    ("^\\(Newsgroups\\|Followup-To\\|Posted-To\\|Gcc\\):" message-x-expand)
>    ("Some-other: " other-expanding-function))
>
> If none of these match, then we call `tab-to-tab-stop', which will do
> the abbrev abbrev expansion.
>
> Whaddayouthink?

Well, message-x.el pretty much tries what you are suggesting here, I
think.  There's an alist which gives the expansion function for each
header.  For Newsgroups and Gcc and Followup-to, message-expand-group
is called.

message-x doesn't grok regexes in the alist, though.

And we still need a second function similar to message-expand-group
which looks at gnus-post-method.

I'll try to do what you are suggesting, and I'll post the new
message-x when I'm done.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.