For a long time, I have wanted the following feature: after I have manually moved a certain article to a certain group, I want all followups (or replies) to that article to go to that same group automatically. Back in the sixties, I created the following patch which will enable Gnus to do that. I'm interested in you folks trying it out to see if it works. Lars has said that he's willing to add this feature to Gnus but that he's going to rewrite the mail splitting thing. Now that he's rewritten mail fetching, I think this is a good time to once again check whether this feature works, before actually integrating it into the Gnus core. What does the patch do? Well, Gnus keeps a log of recently seen mail in ~/.nnmail-cache. This patch just adds the group name along with the message id, and then there's a splitting function for nnmail-split-fancy which looks up message ids in the In-Reply-To and References headers in that file to find out the right group name. The file format is backward-compatible, i.e. you can continue to use your existing file; the group name will be added to newly encountered messages. And the patch is smart enough to only put the group name in if it's a group in the mail backend where mail is split to. (This is also the part that will need to be changed when mail splitting is improved.) The patch is for pgnus 0.63 but still applies cleanly to 0.73, except for an offset of some lines. How do you use it? You need not do anything for this to store the message ids in ~/.nnmail-cache. The patch defines a function nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent which can be invoked from nnmail-split-fancy like so: (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(| (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent) ;; other splits go here )) Modify as appropriate. I'm interested in all kinds of feedback. kai -- Abort this operation? [Abort] [Cancel]