* Gcc: and duplicate mail coming back to you
@ 1997-01-08 23:27 Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1997-01-08 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got this in my .gnus.el (I copied it from somewhere):

(defun kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group ()
  (cond ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
              (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (string-match "^nnfolder" gnus-newsgroup-name))
         gnus-newsgroup-name)
        (t "nnfolder:mail.misc")))
(setq gnus-outgoing-message-group 'kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
(setq gnus-message-archive-group nil)

This works great, all my mail either ends up in the right nnfolder
group or the nnfolder:mail.misc folder.

I _usually_ end up seeing the mail twice though (annoying).  Once for
the Gcc: and once when the list ends up sending me the mail.  Is there
a way to do any of the following:

 1) In my gnus-outgoing-message-group function, get at the "to" and
    "cc" headers of the message and return nil to suppress Gcc: if I am
    sending to a list I am on (I'm willing to hard code that list
    somewhere in my .gnus).

 2) Automatically mark Gcc: messages read (I believe I asked for this
    before, it got put on the Red Gnus "To Do" list).

 3) Some other superior option?

--
Matt

* Re: Gcc: and duplicate mail coming back to you
@ 1997-01-09  7:46 ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1997-01-09  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:

> I've got this in my .gnus.el (I copied it from somewhere):
>
> (defun kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group ()
>   (cond ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
>               (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
>               (string-match "^nnfolder" gnus-newsgroup-name))
>          gnus-newsgroup-name)
>         (t "nnfolder:mail.misc")))
> (setq gnus-outgoing-message-group 'kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group nil)
>

> This works great, all my mail either ends up in the right nnfolder
> group or the nnfolder:mail.misc folder.
>
> I _usually_ end up seeing the mail twice though (annoying).  Once for
> the Gcc: and once when the list ends up sending me the mail.  Is there
> a way to do any of the following:
>
>  1) In my gnus-outgoing-message-group function, get at the "to" and
>     "cc" headers of the message and return nil to suppress Gcc: if I am
>     sending to a list I am on (I'm willing to hard code that list
>     somewhere in my .gnus).
>
>  2) Automatically mark Gcc: messages read (I believe I asked for this
>     before, it got put on the Red Gnus "To Do" list).
>
>  3) Some other superior option?

Use group parameters for that.

Setup:

(setq  gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
				       "misc-news"
				     "misc-mail")))

And then set the gcc-self parameter to t for every group you want to
get outgoing mail stored into the same group, set it to 'none for
every mailinglist where you will get your answer back through the
list. (I suggest to use topics for mail groups and mailinglists and
change these parameters in the topic).

The net effect will be what you want: Mail sent from a group will end
there, if it is sent from outside any group it will go to misc-mail
and outgoing news will be stored in misc-news.

Quite easy.

* Re: Gcc: and duplicate mail coming back to you
@ 1997-01-09  9:13   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-01-09  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Jens> (setq  gnus-message-archive-group '((if (message-news-p)
  Jens> 				       "misc-news"
  Jens> 				     "misc-mail")))

  Jens> And then set the gcc-self parameter to t for every group you
  Jens> want to get outgoing mail stored into the same group, set it
  Jens> to 'none for every mailinglist where you will get your answer
  Jens> back through the list. (I suggest to use topics for mail
  Jens> groups and mailinglists and change these parameters in the
  Jens> topic).

This will work fine for followups, but what if you reply?  Then the
stuff dez ``oh, I'm in the list.foo group, so let's omit the gcc'' and
that's not what you want.

kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte