* problem with gnus-summary-line-format.
@ 2001-07-28  7:24 Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2001-07-28  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

i started to play with summary line format (since we can have nice tree :)).
so far, so good, i've changed the one i've been using for years to something
completely different. now it looks like:

 ( 6: 13) strangely-placed cursor in sum > Bill White
 ( 1: 20) +->                                > Bill White
 ( 2: 19) +->                                > Karl Kleinpaste
 ( 1: 11) | `->                                > Kai Großjohann
 ( 2: 13) `->                                > ShengHuo ZHU
 ( 1: 22)   `->                                > Bill White

but it doesn't look as nice as it could:

 ( 6: 13) strangely-placed cursor in sum > Bill White
 ( 1: 20) +->                            > Bill White
 ( 2: 19) +->                            > Karl Kleinpaste
 ( 1: 11) | `->                          > Kai Großjohann
 ( 2: 13) `->                            > ShengHuo ZHU
 ( 1: 22)   `->                          > Bill White

the format i use now is:

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R %z \(%2t:%3L\) %B%30s > %f\n")

could please someone advice how to shorten the subject field by thread
level? (at least i think that would what i want).

greetings,
 m.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.
@ 2001-07-28 11:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-28 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Maciej Matysiak wrote:

>  ( 6: 13) strangely-placed cursor in sum > Bill White
>  ( 1: 20) +->                            > Bill White
>  ( 2: 19) +->                            > Karl Kleinpaste
>  ( 1: 11) | `->                          > Kai Großjohann
>  ( 2: 13) `->                            > ShengHuo ZHU
>  ( 1: 22)   `->                          > Bill White

To get this kind of effect, you could put the names on the left.  That
could be a workaround until someone tells you how to do what you are
asking for.

Btw, another idea might be for %B to show the subject rather than `>'
for the root of a thread.  What do you think?  Then it might be
possible to just say %40B in gnus-summary-line-format.

Thoughts?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.
@ 2001-07-28 20:09   ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2001-07-28 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 28th of July 2001 at 13:34, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

>> ( 6: 13) strangely-placed cursor in sum > Bill White
>> ( 1: 20) +->                            > Bill White
>> ( 2: 19) +->                            > Karl Kleinpaste
>> ( 1: 11) | `->                          > Kai Großjohann
>> ( 2: 13) `->                            > ShengHuo ZHU
>> ( 1: 22)   `->                          > Bill White
>
> To get this kind of effect, you could put the names on the left.

that doesn't look nice for me.

> Btw, another idea might be for %B to show the subject rather than `>'
> for the root of a thread.

how? after checking apropos for subject, i've tried:
 (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-root (gnus-summary-subject-string))
and
 (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-root (gnus-summary-article-subject))
but both don't do what i want. (btw., what's the difference between
therse functions?)

> What do you think?  Then it might be possible to just say %40B in
> gnus-summary-line-format.

very good idea, much simpler than the solution i was thinking about.
i just need to assign the post's subject to gnus-sum-thread-tree-root :)

btw., there's small bug somewhere: i change the gnus-summary-line-format
in *scratch* buffer, using ctrl-x ctrl-e for evaluating the changed line.
then, go to *group* buffer, and enter a group. but gnus somehow remembers
old gnus-summary-line-format. the new is used when i enter a group second
time.

 m.m.
--

@ 2001-07-28 22:30   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Btw, another idea might be for %B to show the subject rather than
> `>' for the root of a thread.  What do you think?  Then it might be
> possible to just say %40B in gnus-summary-line-format.

I have now done this.  It's a kluge, however.  But you can just set
gnus-sum-thread-tree-root to nil, and then the subject will be used.

I've also added a little bit of documentation.  Please check if it was
right.  (The variables gnus-sum-thread-tree-*.)

I feel that it should also be mentioned in the documentation that
certain strings should have the same width.  For example, the tree
will look strange if the indentation and the vertical line string
don't have the same width, I imagine.  Could someone list all the
constraints?

kai
--

@ 2001-07-28 22:39     ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-07-28 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak wrote:
> very good idea, much simpler than the solution i was thinking about.
> i just need to assign the post's subject to
> gnus-sum-thread-tree-root :)

Atleast for me, threads do change subjects even when not at root. I
gather threads by references.

-- Naked

* Re: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.
@ 2001-07-28 22:59     ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2001-07-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 29th of July 2001 at 00:30, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> you can just set gnus-sum-thread-tree-root to nil, and then the
> subject will be used.

yay! thanx a lot! :)
i use now:
 (setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R %z \(%2t:%3L\) %-40,40B > %f\n")

one thing i can't find how to customize... now i have:

  :                          : Re: bah, i've had it with html
     ( 1: 11) +->                                      > Colin Walters
     ( 3: 16) `->                                      > Kai Großjohann
     ( 2: 65)   `->                                    > Bill White
     ( 1: 22)     `->                                  > Itai Zukerman
     ( 1: 29)                                          > Barry Fishman

i'd like to make it:

  :           : Re: bah, i've had it with html
     ( 1: 11) +->                                      > Colin Walters
     ( 3: 16) `->                                      > Kai Großjohann
     ( 2: 65)   `->                                    > Bill White
     ( 1: 22)     `->                                  > Itai Zukerman
     ( 1: 29)                                          > Barry Fishman

where should i look? where/how is that line configurable (if at all)?
i can't find it in documentation.

> I've also added a little bit of documentation.  Please check if it was
> right.

yes.

> (The variables gnus-sum-thread-tree-*.)

i've customized them already, especially i like:
 (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-leaf "`-> ")
more than "\\-> ".

 m.m.
--

@ 2001-07-28 23:10     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-28 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> Btw, another idea might be for %B to show the subject rather than
>> `>' for the root of a thread.  What do you think?  Then it might be
>> possible to just say %40B in gnus-summary-line-format.
>
> I have now done this.  It's a kluge, however.  But you can just set
> gnus-sum-thread-tree-root to nil, and then the subject will be used.

It turns out that I forgot about gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-indent.
I've now changed it and now you can set that to nil, too.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* spurious subject change (was: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.)
@ 2001-07-28 23:13       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-28 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:

> Atleast for me, threads do change subjects even when not at root. I
> gather threads by references.

I have no idea what the current tree building code will do when that
happens.  Hm.  Lessee...

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: spurious subject change (was: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.)
@ 2001-07-28 23:25         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-28 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
>
>> Atleast for me, threads do change subjects even when not at root. I
>> gather threads by references.
>
> I have no idea what the current tree building code will do when that
> happens.  Hm.  Lessee...

Aha.  It just draws a tree.

What do you suggest should happen in such a case?

kai
--

@ 2001-07-28 23:29         ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-07-28 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
>> Atleast for me, threads do change subjects even when not at root. I
>> gather threads by references.
>
> I have no idea what the current tree building code will do when that
> happens.  Hm.  Lessee...

It works perfectly for me atleast. I see the new subject whenever it
changes, but the thread trees are intact. And %B summary format
ofcourse works fine.

What I meant that the thread root just having the summary listed is
not sufficient - and that some people might want summary listed for
every entry and so on.

-- Naked

* Re: spurious subject change (was: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.)
@ 2001-07-29 21:01           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
>>> Atleast for me, threads do change subjects even when not at
>>> root. I gather threads by references.
>>
>> I have no idea what the current tree building code will do when
>> that happens.  Hm.  Lessee...
>
> It works perfectly for me atleast. I see the new subject whenever it
> changes, but the thread trees are intact. And %B summary format
> ofcourse works fine.

No, no.  That's not what I'm talking about.  You can set
gnus-sum-thread-tree-root to nil, then it will insert the subject.
This way, you can put %B _without_ %s into the summary line format,
and you will see a tree with subject.

But when the subject changes, that feature won't do the right thing.
To get the right effect there, one needs to look if the subject has
changed, and optionally append the subject to every node if this has
happened.

kai
--

@ 2001-07-29 21:05       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-29 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Maciej Matysiak wrote:

>   :                          : Re: bah, i've had it with html
>      ( 1: 11) +->                                      > Colin Walters
>      ( 3: 16) `->                                      > Kai Großjohann
>      ( 2: 65)   `->                                    > Bill White
>      ( 1: 22)     `->                                  > Itai Zukerman
>      ( 1: 29)                                          > Barry Fishman

Maybe the look of the first line comes from gnus-summary-dummy-line-format?

kai
--

@ 2001-07-29 21:08             ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2001-07-29 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 29th of July 2001 at 23:01, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> No, no.  That's not what I'm talking about.  You can set
> gnus-sum-thread-tree-root to nil, then it will insert the subject.
> This way, you can put %B _without_ %s into the summary line format,
> and you will see a tree with subject.

yupp, that's what i do.

> But when the subject changes, that feature won't do the right thing.

oh. for me, it's a feature :) at least, now i see just the thread, without
the-bat-borked subjects (re[7]: blah) and subjects with polish characters
malformed by readers who can't quote properly.

> To get the right effect there, one needs to look if the subject has
> changed, and optionally append the subject to every node if this has
> happened.

if you/someone fix it, please make it an option :)

 m.m.
--

@ 2001-07-29 21:38         ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2001-07-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 29th of July 2001 at 23:05, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Maybe the look of the first line comes from gnus-summary-dummy-line-format?

of course, you're right :) (and apropos for gnus.*line-format showed me
a lot of other things i'll play with now :))

anyways, there's small bug. i described it already yesterday: after changing
gnus-summary-.*line-format, the modifications are visible after i enter
the group second time. for the first time, gnus somehow keeps old settings.

 m.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: spurious subject change (was: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.)
@ 2001-07-29 22:02               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-29 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Maciej Matysiak wrote:

> On the 29th of July 2001 at 23:01,
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> But when the subject changes, that feature won't do the right
>> thing.
>
> oh. for me, it's a feature :) at least, now i see just the thread,
> without the-bat-borked subjects (re[7]: blah) and subjects with
> polish characters malformed by readers who can't quote properly.

I see.  Hm.  Okay, I'm happy then.  But I think the feature should
still be changed so that there is a user option to insert the subject
even inside a thread when the subject has changed.

kai
--

@ 2001-07-30  9:45             ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-07-30  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
>> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>>>
>>> I have no idea what the current tree building code will do when
>>> that happens.  Hm.  Lessee...
>>
>> It works perfectly for me atleast. I see the new subject whenever
>> it changes, but the thread trees are intact. And %B summary format
>> ofcourse works fine.
>
> No, no.  That's not what I'm talking about.  You can set
> gnus-sum-thread-tree-root to nil, then it will insert the subject.
> This way, you can put %B _without_ %s into the summary line format,
> and you will see a tree with subject.

Ah yes, you already talking about the %B tree building code. I thought
you meant the normal tree building, which was silly of me.

> But when the subject changes, that feature won't do the right thing.
> To get the right effect there, one needs to look if the subject has
> changed, and optionally append the subject to every node if this has
> happened.

In my opinion, the decision between showing the subject or not showing
the subject is not limited to just changing subjects and root. I, for
example, am a bit annoyed by the fact that when I'm reading news
articles, if the thread is long, I don't see the current subject from
it - I have to look at modeline or article headers, and both are far
away. So I might want "%S" and not "%s", so to speak. Or maybe
something even more complex, like showing the subject every 5 headers.

-- Naked

* Re: spurious subject change (was: problem with gnus-summary-line-format.)
@ 2001-07-30 11:16               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-30 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding list

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:

> In my opinion, the decision between showing the subject or not
> showing the subject is not limited to just changing subjects and
> root. I, for example, am a bit annoyed by the fact that when I'm
> reading news articles, if the thread is long, I don't see the
> current subject from it - I have to look at modeline or article
> headers, and both are far away. So I might want "%S" and not "%s",
> so to speak. Or maybe something even more complex, like showing the
> subject every 5 headers.

It seems that "%B%s" or "%B%s" is almost what's needed, except that
the width limitation can only apply to one specifier at a time, and
it's difficult to specify a max width for the combination of the two.

Or is it possible?  Then I would remove my klugy feature.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-23 17:15           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-23 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> writes:

> anyways, there's small bug. i described it already yesterday: after changing
> gnus-summary-.*line-format, the modifications are visible after i enter
> the group second time. for the first time, gnus somehow keeps old settings.

Sounds like a caching problem.  I've now tweaked the caching mechanism
a bit...