* Entering servers
@ 2001-02-23 11:47 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-23 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I create a new group, it asks me for a server.  I can enter
`nnml' as well as `nnml:' there.  It seems to be fairly clear what
`nnml:' means -- Gnus looks at the list of servers searching for one
that looks like (nnml "" ...parameters.here...).

It's not at all clear to me what it means to say `nnml', though.

I think it is not necessary to allow people to enter selection method
names, it should be sufficient to let them enter server names.  So I
hereby propose that `nnml' is forbidden, and only `nnml:' is allowed.

Maybe the `nnml' form allows people to create a server on the fly.
This might be useful, but I think it confuses people more than it is
worth, and one can always go to the server buffer to create a server.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Entering servers
@ 2001-02-24  5:04 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-02-24  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I create a new group, it asks me for a server.  I can enter
> `nnml' as well as `nnml:' there.  It seems to be fairly clear what
> `nnml:' means -- Gnus looks at the list of servers searching for one
> that looks like (nnml "" ...parameters.here...).
>
> It's not at all clear to me what it means to say `nnml', though.
>
> I think it is not necessary to allow people to enter selection method
> names, it should be sufficient to let them enter server names.  So I
> hereby propose that `nnml' is forbidden, and only `nnml:' is allowed.
>
> Maybe the `nnml' form allows people to create a server on the fly.
> This might be useful, but I think it confuses people more than it is
> worth, and one can always go to the server buffer to create a server.
>
> Thoughts?  Opinions?

The confusing items have been removed.

ShengHuo