* crazy fool thing to do with gnus and netscape
@ 2000-09-11 19:18 G. Todd
From: G. Todd @ 2000-09-11 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On a shared account I've been keeping almost all the mail in nnfolder
format file under ~/Gnus/nnfolder. Someone else uses ~/ns_mail and
stores mail there for netscape. Is the following a crazy fool
operation:

for file in ~/Gnus/nnfolder/* ; do ln -s $file ~/ns_mail/; done

... so those those same folders could be read under netscape's mail
reader? (and I guess then link Netscape folders into ~/Gnus so the
vice versa operation would work too).

I'm pessimistically assuming things around file locking, corruption,
incompatability etc.  would result in generalized badness.

Is moving everything onto a server and accessing it via IMAP the best
way?

--
G. Todd

* Re: crazy fool thing to do with gnus and netscape
@ 2000-09-11 21:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-11 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I think that Gnus keeps additional information (such as the article
number) in X- headers in the nnfolder files, and gets really really
angry at you if you put a message in without them.

I think that an IMAP server is the best way.  This way, everything is
maintained on the server.  Simon tries hard to make nnimap
interoperate with other IMAP clients, even in places such as expiry
where Gnus operates rather differently than other IMAP clients.

The next best way would be nnmh.  There, no Gnus state is kept in the
actual folder directory; only in ~/.newsrc.eld.  But you must not
delete the last message in a folder, or else!  (Netscape doesn't read
MH format, I think.  But of course MH does...)

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: crazy fool thing to do with gnus and netscape
@ 2000-09-18 20:30 ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 2000-09-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

G. Todd writes:

> for file in ~/Gnus/nnfolder/* ; do ln -s $file ~/ns_mail/; done

Sure sounds crazy...

> Is moving everything onto a server and accessing it via IMAP the best
> way?

I do this every day and this is really cool : you can go on any
computer on the net and you can read your mali from anywhere & from
many clients !  I recommend this.

Kim-Minh.