* Changing backends
@ 1996-08-20 19:15 Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1996-08-20 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 19.32.1 (i386-*-nt3.51) of Thu Aug  8 1996 on MODI
Gnus v5.2.37; nntp 4.0; nnfolder 1.0

I have been using nnfolder for a while as my primary mail backend.  I
find that I would like to switch to nnml, preferably without messing
up crossreferences, etc.  Is there an easy way to do this?  Is there
_any_ way to do this?

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@schenley.com)

* Re: Changing backends
@ 1996-08-21  0:35 ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-08-21  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <uvied3lzz.fsf@maru.schenley.com>,
"Michael Welsh Duggan" <md5i@schenley.com> writes:
> I have been using nnfolder for a while as my primary mail backend.  I
> find that I would like to switch to nnml, preferably without messing
> up crossreferences, etc.  Is there an easy way to do this?  Is there
> _any_ way to do this?

Add your new nnml groups to the split method, delete the entries
pointing at your nnfolder groups, use gnus-summary-respool-article to
send old articles through the new split method.  I assume that the
process mark will work with -respool-article.

I'm not sure if xref's will be respected; I don't see why you'd need
xref's for old mail, though.  Anyways, moving mail using
gnus-summary-move-article is guaranteed not to respect xref's, so this
is better if only for the uncertainty.

-Sudish

* Re: Changing backends
@ 1996-08-23 15:16 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-08-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Michael> I have been using nnfolder for a while as my primary mail
  Michael> backend.  I find that I would like to switch to nnml,
  Michael> preferably without messing up crossreferences, etc.  Is
  Michael> there an easy way to do this?  Is there _any_ way to do
  Michael> this?

You can just put nnml in your gnus-secondary-select-methods instead of
nnfolder.  You can then create new nnml groups (with "G m").  You can
also use nndoc to access your old nnfolder groups.  You can copy ("B
c") the articles from the old groups to the new ones (one group at a
time, of course).  You can use the process marks feature ("#") to mark
many articles to be copied with "B c".

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.