From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann)
Cc: <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Diffinitive archiving method sought - Big prize money for best entrant
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:50:23 +0200	[thread overview]

> I use rsync to grab new stuff from the agentized messages, adding
> them to an archive on a daily cron job.  Anyone who knows about rsync
> will know that it will keep adding any new messages to an archive.
> Ok, fine so far.  but given enough time, that archive will grow
> un-usably large.  Or at least large enough to be a pain to search etc.
>
> I want to break it up into chunks of some kind.  I think calendar
> quarters would be good.  I don't mean here that the messages in the
> archive have to fall inside a certain quarter, but only that the
> quarter not hold any dups from the one before or after.  So, I'm not
> concerned about message dates, although they would by and large, fall
> in place.  Just a user imposed quarter of collected messages.

Collect 6 months worth of articles in a directory.  Then archive the
ones older than 3 months into your archive and remove them from the
directory.  Then you wait another three months and again archive the
old messages and remove them.

Now comes the problem how to remove articles.  If you're careful, it
should be possible by removing the articles themselves plus the
overview entries plus perhaps adjusting the active file.  Another
possibility is to figure out which function F is called from
gnus-agent-expire to actually delete, then get a list of messages
archived and call that function F on those messages.

Not sure how to do it for leafnode, if you decide to use that.

kai